The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
scotty205

Advice on this CA deal

Hi Michael, I know its been a while, lol. I have a potential deal and here are the numbers.

Seller owes around 70,000 for a property that doesnt need much repairs. Comps in the area are easily 80,000. Rent is 900/month. The seller doesnt live here and is tired of renting it. Here is what I would like to do. Offer 70,000 and give say 50% rent credit for 1 year on a CA and collect around 5000 option money. So the purchase price for TB would be 80,500...I know you like 1 year deals but dont you want to get more than one year if you can? Your thoughts everyone on how you would structure it? Thanks....

Hi, Scotty. The numbers you are suggesting will work, assuming you are correct about the $80K valuation. However, I'll be shocked if you receive $5K option consideration for an $80K property. Realistically you can expect somewhere in the $2,500 range.

And, yes, longer is better. So if you can get the homeowner to agree to 24 months instead of 12, reduce the rent credits to 25%. The bottom line is the same, but tenant/buyers love the idea of more time.

Greatt, I was thinking that exact same thing. I thought the option money was to high. I'm sure the comps are correct so I will reduce rent credits and see what the homeowner says. Thanks a lot Michael...

I would like to break down this deal to make sure I am correct on the whole process of this deal. My investor partner does not think this is how it works so please clarify if I am wrong on anything. The numbers changed a tad..

Seller price: 75,000

My offer: 80,000

Rent 1,000/month

2500 option fee

2500 rent credits

2 years with only 1 year rent credits

Now here is where we disagree big time. The $1,000 in monthly rent goes toward the purchase price correct? So, lets say the TB exercises his option after 1 year. How much would the TB owe? They would subtract 12,000 in rent and owe 63,000 correct? Please let me know if I am wrong. Thanks...

Scotty, you owe your partner a dinner. Your numbers are incorrect. Let me explain. . .

Option to purchase price to the tenant/buyer is $80K.

Expected option consideration is $2,500. Assuming this is yours to keep, the net to the homeowner is $77,500.

24 month lease, at $1K/mo, with a 25% rent credit for 24 months equals $6K in total rent credits. Or you can offer a 50% rent credit for 12 months, with the remaining 12 months offering no rent credits, (can be a motivation for the t/b to exercise their option). But the rent credits still total $6K. That $6K reduces the net sale price to $71,500.

The only time the total monthly rent would be credited towards the purchase is if you are offering 100% rent credit.

Yes Yes I guess I do, lol. Thank you Michael for clarifying that. The big reason I have'nt done deals with lease options is because for some reason I have a hard time wrapping my head around doing it the right way and getting the numbers right. I really want to use this strategy though so now me and my investor partner can get the numbers right together and start getting deals. Again thanks for your help, I understand the whole process a lot better now.