The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
MJ Smook

Beginning date of my lease with seller.

In clause #1 of the Residential Lease With Option To Purchase Agreement, what date should be entered for the BEGINNING DATE?

My understanding is that this date starts the lease and the clock starts to tick for me to make the 1st lease payment at the beginning of the next month (as per clause #2), even though I might not have found a TB yet?

That would force me to cancel in terms of clause #20.

How do I write up clause #1 so that that my lease BEGINNING DATE is only after I have found a TB?

Thanks for your support.

I always use the date that I expect to find a t/b. We aren't in this business to be making payments on vacant properties. So here we are in early March, depending upon the specific factors I would start the lease on May 1. If something happens sooner, I've never had a homeowner become upset with an extra month's rent. If the start date is approaching and I haven't yet found a t/b, I can ask for an extension if I want to continue to try, or I can cancel the agreement.