The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
pilot76180

Door hangers

I put this out earlier this week in an e-mail, but I thought I'd post it here if it might help anyone.

Years ago I did door hangers to try to market, and I didn't do very many at all, I just had them in the car and if I saw a sign in a yard, and had time, I might put up a door hanger. Yet from those few door hangers I actually got some calls, which then led me into the direct mail.

Anyway, I thought I'd circle back to how you can do it on a larger scale. You can even go to Zaarly.com and hire someone for $50 or $75 or whatever to go hang them for you. Hope the info below helps!

When it comes to marketing, I think it's good to look to mix things up. I mentioned before that this is a slow time to do direct mailing, and I probably won't do another mailout till late July, and I'll hit it very heavy in August and September.

HOWEVER..this doesn't mean you can't get creative right now.

Before I did direct mail, I would drive around and put flyers on doors to houses that had a sign in the yard. I got at least a tiny response, so that lead me to going to direct mail. Now, this was about 9 years ago, and I can assure you...my little pamphlet was probably AWFUL!!! I've certainly developed far better marketing material since then, and if you've ordered the direct mailout video I've sent you a copy of what I use.

Do you know why I started doing direct mail? Because the first thing I did that started the phone ringing was DOOR FLYERS! Can you believe that? It's true!

So...if you want to do some almost free advertising, here's what you can do..

1) Order your brochures or postcards based on my samples. (You can get 5000 for about $340, or you can just order 1,000 or so.)

2) Order some door hanger bags from Uline. Here is a link for you.http://www.uline.com/Product/AdvSearchResult.aspx?keywords=door%20hangers

3) Go to Realtor.com and/or BuyOwner/FSBO.com and pull the addresses for houses in a SPECIFIC zip code or area you want to target.

4) Drive around listing to your favorite 80's rock music on your i-pod or phone and put door hangers on the addresses you pulled.

If you plan it right, you could easily put flyers on at least 50-75 doors on any given day.

This may not seem like a lot, but you do this a few times on days when you weren't going to do anything anyway, and after a few times you've hung a few hundred flyers.

If you got 1 house...1 house from doing that...that would be more money from that one house than many people make in a month.

If I did this for a couple of days, I bet I could EASILY get 2-3 houses out of it using the brochures or postcards I use now.

If you are just starting out, and looking to get some experience talking to sellers and learning your area, I would highly recommend this.

Sometimes you just have to go back to what works.

Do you know why Coca Cola would replay the commercial with "I'd like to teach the world to sing"..it was old..but...it WORKED!

• Like 3

I mentioned before that this is a slow time to do direct mailing, and I probably won't do another mailout till late July, and I'll hit it very heavy in August and September.

HOWEVER..this doesn't mean you can't get creative right now.

Before I did direct mail, I would drive around and put flyers on doors to houses that had a sign in the yard. I got at least a tiny response, so that lead me to going to direct mail. Now, this was about 9 years ago, and I can assure you...my little pamphlet was probably AWFUL!!! I've certainly developed far better marketing material since then, and if you've ordered the direct mailout video I've sent you a copy of what I use.

Do you know why I started doing direct mail? Because the first thing I did that started the phone ringing was DOOR FLYERS! Can you believe that? It's true!

Hi John,

Thanks for the info on door hangers. If you decide to do this keep us posted on your results.... Let's say you put out 75 door hangers to targeted properties in one day. I wonder how many calls and ultimately deals you would get from that? Then, let's say you put out 150 door hangers in a specific neighborhood regardless if the property was listed or not (just blanketed an area). I wonder how many calls and ultimately deals you would get from that? Just a thought....

I'm curious as to why now is a slow time to do direct mail. Can you clarify? I've been doing a bunch of cold/warm calls on Craigslist and have had a tough time getting deals converted. I'm not sure if it's me, my system or simply the quality of the leads. I'm open to the fact that it could be all three of those things! I'm considering sending out direct mail (yellow letters to absentee owners and/or expired listings) here in the next few weeks, but I'm curious to hear as to why you think it might be a slow time.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

I'm going to do this starting mid-July after I get back from Costa Rica and I'll keep you all posted on the #'s and responses etc.

The worst time bar-none to spend $$ on direct mail to sellers is the week or two before school ends and the few weeks after school ends.

Sellers think that when summer is here their house will sell, so they don't need a plan B.

As summer comes to a close, they start thinking they may need a plan B.

That's when you want to attack. At the end of summer and the first month or so into the school year.

Something else I'm going to do is include a magnet of my business card with the door hangers.

The seller can stick it to their fridge and call me when they are ready.

You can get the peel and stick for like...$22 for 100, then you stick your current card to it..kinda cheap...

Or, you can order your card printed on a magnet (much nicer) for about $37 for a hundred (less if you order more).

I have some here and they look pretty nice.

Amazing info John, Just found this thread after I responded to your post on the direct mail numbers. I do have the brochure outline that you use so now I see how you do the door hangers by just getting a bag. I like the magnet idea. You stated to put out 3k door hangers. With those kind of numbers are you suggesting I blanket areas or direct marketing to the specifics we use for the MLS. Also, if you are marketing to the same homes you would through the MLS, whats the difference between doing a door hanger then them recieving the brochure through the mail.

Thanks John.

" Everything about business comes down to people. Where in business can we escape the impace of human care, human creativity, human commitment, human frustration, and human despair? There is no reason for anything in business to exist if it does not serve the needs of people?

Bruce Cryer

I'm listening to your webinar that you did with Joe and Todd and your door hanger method. Now would you say you have a better response with door hangers or direct mail.

I have the permit should I still do door hangers instead.

Thanks.

The suggestion about Zaarly.com is interesting. Although I wonder how well this would work in a smaller market. I didn't see many people advertising in my own city of Indy, which has a population around 1 million.

Hi John,

Thank you very much for this info; it surprised me coming from a direct mailer! I love dm. I'm gonna play with this as one of my advertising streams next month.

You share so much good stuff here John. May you get 100 times the return for the value that you deliver to people B) realllly

John,

You mentioned including a magnet of your business card with the door hangers. What type of business card would that be, a professional business card or a marketing business card?

Thanks for sharing!