The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
lhenley

Expireds - how old is to old?

Because of the holidays (and other reasons...ugh...excuses), I have gotten behind on my mailings to MLS expireds. My agent friend has continued to send them to me each week, so I'm about 6 weeks behind in contacting them.

I know some of these have probably relisted, and some may have actually sold, so my question is how old is to old? I also know that a listing that has expired is a prime canidate for our program, so should I just go ahead and mail to these older leads anyway?

Thanks,

Lynn (FL)

Lynn, I don't think six weeks lag time is too old at all. In fact, that might be prime time. The homeowners just endured a six month listing with no sale. Of course, they blame the Agent. The likelihood of their rushing to relist is pretty small. So now they're sitting around thinking about alternatives. It's a good time to hit 'em up, in my opinion.

Hehe. I never thought of it that way, Lynn. But now that you mention it I think I'll have a cocktail. Somewhere in the world it's an appropriate time for a drink. ^_^

I don't think MC is the one to ask "how old is too old"?

His motto is "If they're too old to run, MC's gonna have some fun!"

C'mon, the guy lives in a retirement community...

Not a bad gig though, he's probably the hottest guy among the other guys that are 90 + years old..

I actually aspire to such a life...

• Like 1

I don't think MC is the one to ask "how old is too old"?

His motto is "If they're too old to run, MC's gonna have some fun!"

C'mon, the guy lives in a retirement community...

Not a bad gig though, he's probably the hottest guy among the other guys that are 90 + years old..

I actually aspire to such a life...

Tough Crowd!! ^_^

Amusing, pilot. But remember this, while I may have a few gray hairs, when there's snow on the roof there's fire down below. ^_^

• Like 1

LMAO this forum cracks me up every time.

I mail the just-expired listings every week, and they go on an 8 step direct mail campaign with a new letter going out every 9 days, so I'm marketing to them for a while after the listing expires. I usually try to update the list (remove the ones that are listed again) every couple of weeks when I have time (haven't automated that part of the biz yet), I'd say mail 'em no matter how long the listing's been expired! (well, within reason... I don't know if I'd go more than a few months back but that's just me)

How many times and for what length of time are you marketing to expireds once they get on your list Lynn?

LMAO this forum cracks me up every time.

I mail the just-expired listings every week, and they go on an 8 step direct mail campaign with a new letter going out every 9 days, so I'm marketing to them for a while after the listing expires. I usually try to update the list (remove the ones that are listed again) every couple of weeks when I have time (haven't automated that part of the biz yet), I'd say mail 'em no matter how long the listing's been expired! (well, within reason... I don't know if I'd go more than a few months back but that's just me)

How many times and for what length of time are you marketing to expireds once they get on your list Lynn?

I though Id chime in... Last year when I was doing these i was told to send to FSBO 2-3 days a week for a month. But for expireds I believe the same. The reasoning is becuase the FSBOs are more stubborn and will call if they keep seeing your mail peice. I had 3 templates for cards and 3 variations of mary letters that i designed personally and would send to my list.

F.Y.I MARY LETTERS WILL GET THE PHONE RINGING.

Mary letters = yellow letters

I've heard some people suggest that rapid-fire 2 or 3 mail pieces / week and can't say I've ever tried mailing that frequently, but I had been mailing every 7 days and I got SEVERAL phone calls from people who were pretty pissed that I kept pestering them. Now I'm putting 9 days between them and no more angry calls, but I still get a decent response.

My personal thoughts are that even if hammering them with your letter/post card gets a call, if it's an angry "Stop harassing me" call it's not really as good as an "Okay, what is this you're writing to me about?"

I'm using a combination of yellow letters and typed letters, does anyone here actively mail 2-3x per week, and if so, what sort of results do you get and with what type of direct mail piece?

Hey Chris,

I use to promote a 16 letter mail campaign however in today's market why mail so darn much? Touch your Pre-foreclosures twice within a 30 day cycle and your Free and Clears every 45 days. If you can grab a cell number touch your COI monthly with a picture text. Fairly easy and dirt cheap.

Yellow,

I don't market to pre-foreclosures, but every 45 days for free & clears or absentee's makes sense, since they aren't necessarily looking to sell. I'm going after expired listings though, where I know that they're interested in selling and probably frustrated/pissed off that their agent wasn't able to sell their house. Some may have decided not to sell, others might re-list with the same agent or a new agent. I wanna get them on the phone while they're most likely thinking "What to do?" and are more likely to be open to a creative solution. That's why I put my letters in front of them several times (7) over the 2 months after the listing expires....