The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
bvarbel

Is anyone texting? And if so, what is your approach?

As an experiment, I've been texting ads in the newspaper for a while. I usually send something like "e-mail #1" and if they show some interest, I either try to get their email for a "modified e-mail #2" or I just talk to them. At points there have been very good responses--especially in the beginning when none of the people had ever seen my text.

Does anyone here do any texting of ads? If so, what's your approach. I'd like to try some new ideas. By the way I open a google voice texting window and drag and drop the newspaper phone numbers...that seems to be a pretty quick method for me.

Brian...

Hi, Brian. Have you found this method to be more effective than emails? I'm thinking that you are limited in what you can say to someone who replies asking for more information, no? At some point early on you'll need to get an email address or call them.

I wouldn't say "more" effective. The results are interesting...it does open the possibility for people who might not otherwise receive a message from me, say with a cold call in the paper that I don't do, to have an opportunity to find me. I have had lengthy text sessions with some folks (easy with google voice), some people call me and leave information on my business Voice mail which provides them a little information. In some ways I've had more interested people from texting activity than Craigslist e-mail including sending out short offer letters--possibly because its a little more personal.

I do it because its fast, easy and free. In addition to sending out e-mails, I also text. I have never had trouble moving the conversation to e-mail or phone. I'd be interested to hear the results of anyone who has tried this...maybe there is a better text I can send or a different approach.

One thing to note, more people take the time to respond on a text than on an e-mail. People tend to be polite. But if you text all the time, some people get annoyed that you've sent them 4 or 5 texts from relisting in the paper. I haven't been cursed out yet...most people find it funny and make a joke out of it.

Wish I could text but I can't read the damn thing. My eyes are shot, not as good as they used to be.

Brian, my reasoning, (if I can refer to it as that :rolleyes: ), is that because spam texts haven't yet caught up to all the crap we get via email, people don't have their guard up as they do when getting a message via email. Of course, that will change in time, but for now I think texting can be an effective marketing tool.

Steve, I hear ya on that! Between my eyes going south on me, and my clumsy texting style, it'd be quicker to send my message via Morse Code. :P

Wish I could text but I can't read the damn thing. My eyes are shot, not as good as they used to be.

That's where tools like Google voice are your friend...if you can send an instant message or e-mail, you can text. No need to worry about eye sight. I used to have the texts forwarded to my cell phone...now I just deal with them on the computer when I can get to them--just like e-mail.