The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
sell4freedom

Tenant/Buyer Resonponsible for Repairs?

I'm hoping to be doing CA's very shortly and was wondering if anyone here knows of any state laws against having the tenant/buyer be responsible for maintenance and repairs? Specifically for Alabama.

Thanks,

Patrick

The landlord/tenant laws in my state require the landlord to be responsible for repairs so the rental property meets health and safety codes. However, it becomes blurred when you are in a L/O and the tenant/buyer agrees to be responsible for all the repairs. I make sure that any property I L/O would meet any health/safety requirements (ie. smoke alarm, obvious plumbing leaks, electrical outlets function) before placing a t/b, especially in a SLO.

In one city I market in, the city "politicians" have inspectors come out and take a look at the property. They spend about 60 seconds in the property and then ask for their fee. :D

If you’re not a slum-lord I don't think it's a big issue. In a CA the owner would ultimately be responsible and a SLO the same as there is a $$ limit on any repairs I would need to do.

You can 'google' your state specific "landlord-tentant laws"

Also, in the Naked Investor agreements there is a paragraph that states the tenant/buyer has inspected and has agreed the plumbing, electrical, heating & cooling systems are in satisfactory order. :D