The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
transactionsengineer

Www.freeacres.org

I have a situation. I have a home owner who wishes to get out of her situation and is willing to discuss any issues to getting rid of her property. The problem is the town that she lives in.

The town does not allow any creative real estate deals and must approve the buyer to be allowed into the town. No flips, no rehab and sell, etc. The purchaser must also be interviewed by the town council to be a qualified buyer.

The land is leased for 99 years to the homeowner by an encumberance allowed by the US Constitution.

The website for the town is Free Acres

Anyone have any ideas?

Where on Earth is this place? It sounds like something out of a B grade sci-fi flick. Freaky. You asked if anyone has any ideas? Yeah. If this is legit, avoid this Twilight Zone of a community, and find a deal in somewhat more normal surroundings. :wub:

Where on Earth is this place?  It sounds like something out of a B grade sci-fi flick.  Freaky.  You asked if anyone has any ideas?  Yeah.  If this is legit, avoid this Twilight Zone of a community, and find a deal in somewhat more normal surroundings.  :wacko:

The home is in Free Acres. Free Acres is split into two towns. The two towns are in separate counties.

The home is located in Watchung, NJ but the address is listed as Berkeley Heights, NJ. Watchung, NJ is in Somerset County and Berkeley Heights is in Union County.

The good part of this association set up is low property taxes and the idea of a self sustaining government.

The bad part is more regulations to follow. It is not considered discrimination for a town to vote and tell a perspective buyer that they do not fit into the social standing, financial standing, or class of people within this community.

I've already decided to stay away from this as an investment. It does resemble the 1998 film, Pleasantville starring Toby Magire or the 2004 film, M. Night Shyamalan's The Village.

It is not considered discrimination for a town to vote and tell a perspective buyer that they do not fit into the social standing, financial standing, or class of people within this community.
I'm not an attorney, but I can't help but think how any one who is could argue discrimination before a court and walk away victorious.
I've already decided to stay away from this as an investment. It does resemble the 1998 film, Pleasantville starring Toby Magire or the 2004 film, M. Night Shyamalan's The Village.
Good decision, Daniel. Man, toss in the occasional odd character from a Fellini film and I think we have a recipe for an Oscar nomination. :wacko:

A little twist to the thought.

Why on earth would anyone want to purchase a home with those restrictions?

Is it even legal? Can they prevent anyone from purchasing? If so, I would love to be that buyer they said sorry to. Is it a private club for this easy out? Sounds more like a NUDITY COMMUNITY CLUB with a swing on every free acre...

It really sounds like ARUBA to me. There the government owns all the land for 100 years. You lease the property from the Aruba Government. If you lease the same land for this whole time it becomes yours after the 100 years.

A little twist to the thought. 

Why on earth would anyone want to purchase a home with those restrictions?

Is it even legal? Can they prevent anyone from purchasing? If so, I would love to be that buyer they said sorry to. Is it a private club for this easy out? Sounds more like a NUDITY COMMUNITY CLUB with a swing on every free acre...

It really sounds like ARUBA to me. There the government owns all the land for 100 years.  You lease the property from the Aruba Government. If you lease the same land for this whole time it becomes yours after the 100 years.

Check out the website http://www.freeacres.org

Maybe you are just the right person for this exclusive community.