Most Liked Content

#49440 voicemail wording.

Posted by pilot76180 on 22 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

You all need to hear my 60 second schpeel....

Sellers call me, and I am "pulling up to a meeting, but if I could get some quick information from you then I can pull some data to your specific home, and go thru everything in detail, but it looks like my client is here so let me grab some information from you and get back with you when I can go into more detail.  First of all, what's the property address?   And is this number a good number to call  you back on?  Is your property listed?  IF so, how much are you asking?  Great, I need to meet with this client, but let me get your e-mail info and I can work on everything for you when I get back to the office and I can e-mail you some preliminary info..."

THATS IT!!!

I just got all the data I need. 

I then go back to watching recordings of Shark Tank. 

No need to spend 3 hours discussing FHA guidelines...

Seriously....I'm not here to chit chat...

I'm here to get crap done. 

• MichaelC, <Steve>, Adam and 1 other like this

#48226 Discouraged!!

Posted by <Steve> on 21 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

Now David I know you are a free-market-capitalist, and you know how screwed everything is at the moment. In my market people are just standing around with deer eyes thinking some Politian is going to save them and make everything better. You and I both know that is bullshit. With any business today you have to literally work three times as hard to get half the results that we did a few years ago, if you’re lucky. I am not sure if you are working a job now, but you can get a piece of “card board” and write Rent-To-Own with your number and place them around for not cost but a marking pen. Just tell the seller it makes potential tenant/buyers think they don’t have to deal with a corporate real estate agent and believe it or not these crapy signs can bring in more calls.
  • David Busch, raquelm and DeeLight like this

#47509 Door hangers

Posted by pilot76180 on 08 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

I put this out earlier this week in an e-mail, but I thought I'd post it here if it might help anyone.
Years ago I did door hangers to try to market, and I didn't do very many at all, I just had them in the car and if I saw a sign in a yard, and had time, I might put up a door hanger. Yet from those few door hangers I actually got some calls, which then led me into the direct mail.
Anyway, I thought I'd circle back to how you can do it on a larger scale. You can even go to Zaarly.com and hire someone for $50 or $75 or whatever to go hang them for you. Hope the info below helps!

When it comes to marketing, I think it's good to look to mix things up. I mentioned before that this is a slow time to do direct mailing, and I probably won't do another mailout till late July, and I'll hit it very heavy in August and September.
HOWEVER..this doesn't mean you can't get creative right now.
Before I did direct mail, I would drive around and put flyers on doors to houses that had a sign in the yard. I got at least a tiny response, so that lead me to going to direct mail. Now, this was about 9 years ago, and I can assure you...my little pamphlet was probably AWFUL!!! I've certainly developed far better marketing material since then, and if you've ordered the direct mailout video I've sent you a copy of what I use.
Do you know why I started doing direct mail? Because the first thing I did that started the phone ringing was DOOR FLYERS! Can you believe that? It's true!

So...if you want to do some almost free advertising, here's what you can do..
1) Order your brochures or postcards based on my samples. (You can get 5000 for about $340, or you can just order 1,000 or so.)
2) Order some door hanger bags from Uline. Here is a link for you.http://www.uline.com...ds=door hangers
3) Go to Realtor.com and/or BuyOwner/FSBO.com and pull the addresses for houses in a SPECIFIC zip code or area you want to target.
4) Drive around listing to your favorite 80's rock music on your i-pod or phone and put door hangers on the addresses you pulled.

If you plan it right, you could easily put flyers on at least 50-75 doors on any given day.
This may not seem like a lot, but you do this a few times on days when you weren't going to do anything anyway, and after a few times you've hung a few hundred flyers.
If you got 1 house...1 house from doing that...that would be more money from that one house than many people make in a month.
If I did this for a couple of days, I bet I could EASILY get 2-3 houses out of it using the brochures or postcards I use now.
If you are just starting out, and looking to get some experience talking to sellers and learning your area, I would highly recommend this.
Sometimes you just have to go back to what works.
Do you know why Coca Cola would replay the commercial with "I'd like to teach the world to sing"..it was old..but...it WORKED!
  • <Steve>, bwalston and Shar like this

#2326 The email marketing instruction course!!!!!!

Posted by TPSG, LLC on 24 May 2003 - 10:27 AM

Okay,

So what if I told you that with a couple hours of work, you could easily get 50-100 guaranteed, qualified, and verified leads!

Now I know before some of us had talked about email marketing before and got some flack for some of it, but I wanted to really tell and teach you all what kind of success I have had, how I did it, and how you can too.

First, I went on to every FSBO site possible (if you want this list, let me know). From there I grabbed every email address that I could find...mind you, some sites don't give you email addresses, but they allow you to email the owners. So let's say you grab all the email address you can find, then you go back to the sites that don't have email address BUT you send a message to the "seller." So you put in your Contact name (first name), your email address (now here is where I got flack...I use a non business email address, as to seem more personable and not such a business, because all I am looking for is information right now), your subject (which I put as "home still for sale?"), and your message which should be this:

"Sorry for the 50 questions, but I am curious, Is your home still for sale? If so, what is the address for the home
for sale? How long have you had it on the market and why are you selling and when do you need to sell by?

I am looking for homes in the area.

Thank you."

...and then I hit "submit" or "send" whatever the site has. The site will automatically send an email to that person selling their home with your email address and message attached. Now, I take the email addresses that I grabbed and I open up my email program (I use Outlook) but if you use yahoo or hotmail, etc you can do the same thing. I then paste all of the emails in the "Bcc:" part of the email header....if you don't see the "Bcc:" option in Outlook, then go up to the "View" tab and click on "Bcc: field." Why this is important is that this means "Blind Carbon Copy" which means that whoever you send this email to will never see who else you are sending it to, so they won't think you are sending 50 emails around just for information, which you are ;) Then again, put the subject and message above into the email and then put, "Thanks, (put your first name here)" and then hit send.

Now what will happen is pretty amazing, at least it was to me. Because I sent out over 100 emails, combined between sites sending them and me. What I got back was 10 or so email addresses were invalid or not around anymore, but then over the course of the next week, I got back over 50 emails telling me everything about their property, their phone number, their address, and MOST IMPORTANTLY I had every single one tell me why they are selling and when they need to sell by! B)

So now, all I had to do was weed through all the emails to find out who's house had sold and throw those out, and then I printed out all the emails and put them in order from greatest need to sell to least and then I start calling. Now...here's the important part, when I call, this is what I say...I tell them that "I am calling you regarding a friend I have who told me your home was for sale and saw it on the internet"....and then the rest is textbook conversation. But what is great though, is that I already have tons of info on them and their situation, so if I know they need to sell right away, I can use different lingo or bring up different scenario's from the beginning. :ph34r:

The whole process of finding and sending emails takes about an hour or so to do, but think about it...you get back over 50% responses, telling you exactly what you need to know and now you don't have to waste your time calling these people cold-call in the first place, (which I hope you were going to do anyway) because you now know who needs what, etc.

The whole point is that YOU ARE IN CONTROL and you are making the internet and technology work for you. Hope this all helps and remember, think smarter not harder.

Have a great weekend all...
  • Propertymagnets, GetMoneyGetPaid and rwcinvestments like this

#50905 Whats working these days?

Posted by MichaelC on 02 July 2016 - 08:33 PM

I've always said marketing is a function of one's time and financial budgets.  At the lower end of the spectrum you have email marketing.  It takes but minutes to send emails to FSBOs who are advertising online.  At the other end would be direct mailings.  More time consuming, more expensive, but more targeted, as well.  Dropping $1,500 on a campaign might sound expensive, but getting even but one deal as a result will pay for that ten times over.

• Shar and Alpha like this

#50603 MLS Book

Posted by MichaelC on 24 June 2015 - 08:09 AM

Hehe.  Strolling down Memory Lane, Steve?  I recall waiting for the Sunday morning papers to arrive so I could jump on the real estate section and start dialing for dollars.  By 10:00 AM I already had 3 homeowners tell me to get lost. :P  Good times, indeed.

• <Steve> and Chris_MA like this

#50137 Craigslist, Whats working

Posted by mhmi on 04 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

Blind ads like that have never worked for me, and I see lots of people doing it now and they get flagged very quickly. I doubt they are getting many leads. When marketing for sellers I prefer to email the listings that are already there - if someone is posting on CL for a house to sell it's unlikely they are reading many of the other ads since they aren't there to buy. They might once in a while to see what's on the market, but I'd rather contact them directly than hope and pray they see my ad. I use Classified Searcher Pro to respond to everything. It's the greatest tool out there, there is a thread on this board about it. I set it up to search, when I get up in the morning I check off the listings I want to respond to, click a button and it's done for me. Templates are saved, I have ones geared toward fsbo's and frbo's. I've got 2 houses under contract this month from it. It's also great because it saves the emails and won't let you respond to the same ad twice - I would never be able to keep track of that doing it manually. Best $30 I ever spent.

• MichaelC and Dustin like this

#50049 Automated Craigslist Searches and Emails

Posted by mhmi on 03 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

After playing with this for a couple of days here are the negative keywords I've added that have really helped clear out the ads that are a waste for me. I just added the ones I thought of, saw the results and kept adding ones that I came across and ran it again (without setting up the reply email during my testing). It's not fullproof, you can do mispellings too, like some forgot the e at the end of mobile, so some slip through the cracks, but then I go through and hand delete those ones before having it send the emails. Some you may not want depending on who you are targeting. But it's a good start. This is a great software!

-agent -realtor -apartment -investor -"rent to own" -rehabbers -investment -wholesale -"owner financing" -"lot for sale" -"land for sale" -"lease purchase" -"lease-purchase" -"cash flow" -cash -investors -apartments -"seller will finance" -"credit is approved" -"bad credit" -habitat -"owner finance" -vacation -"lease to own" -commercial -"home loan" -"seller financed" -"mobile home" -"private financing" -landlord -trailer -wholesaling

• MichaelC and David Busch like this

#49842 First phone conversation. How not to blow it?

Posted by <Steve> on 08 July 2013 - 06:36 AM

I agree, the manual is good to have on the desk when making calls.  Tag the those pages and use them as a reference during the phone conversation to make sure you ask all the needed questions.  Also, have an attutude that you don't care if you get a deal or not and take the call/deal as far as you can.  Gets easier as you go.

• MichaelC and Chris_MA like this

#49840 First phone conversation. How not to blow it?

Posted by Doug Pretorius (ON) on 07 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

Don't worry about 'blowing it' Justin. There are more sellers where they came from. Remember, your job is to eliminate not to convince. You can't talk a seller into doing something creative, you can only qualify or disqualify them.

• MichaelC and <Steve> like this

#49553 Legal mumbo jumbo

Posted by pilot76180 on 19 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

If she wants to know "where did you learn this?"

Tell her...from two midgets on a late night infomercial that had hot chics all around them. 

• MichaelC and echriston like this

#49445 Automated Craigslist Searches and Emails

Posted by Brian (NYC) on 22 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

Ok, earlier I sent an email just for grins to any qualified ad on Craigslist within 125 miles of Colorado Springs.  Within a couple hours, over 60 people responded--and they are still rolling in!  Most were polite "no thank you's" but some were "yes, I'm interested, what did you have in mind."  I probably sent at least 10+ second emails with attachment for this effort.  I'm pretty pleased so far with how it works.  Now to figure out how to actually convert leads ;-)

I'm using Gmail, and if you copy the second email, its very quick to paste it into a new e-mail and add the attachment.  It didn't take me any time at all to go through 60 e-mails, deleting the ones that were nothing, and sending out the second e-mail w/ attachment.

#49122 Just saying Hi

Posted by MikeT/NC on 10 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

Ellis, I feel your pain bro. If this business is anything it's a numbers and persistence game. A few weeks back I sent out a thousand cards. I got about 40 calls back. Out of the 40 calls I got no deals.  Cost me over $700 bucks to. But not all was lost. I did learn a few things. I'm positive there was a deal somewhere within those 40 calls but I didn't have the know how to ferret it out. People call, your mind goes blank, your tongue gets thick, your palms sweat and you screw it up. One thing it taught me was that if you're only going to do CAs then that right there will cut down on the potential deals.I'm still aiming mostly for CAs because I pretty much understand them but I'm also working with a mentor who can help me put together other types of deals if a lead just isn't a CA. Most of the time for him a CA is a last resort. He always tries to do a sub2 or some sort of owner financing then reverts back to a SLO or CA if he has to. I will say this though, unless you are going to work with a mentor I would definitely only concentrate on one strategy. Ellis, here's a little quote that I keep in my wallet and take it out and read it when I get frustrated.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."   Calvin Coolidge.

#49096 C.A. - What does the EXACT play by play look like?

Posted by wildwestinvest! on 04 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

Mine go something like this:

Answer calls from sellers
Collect general property info
Research the property
Contact again to see it/make offer/get paperwork signed
Market property
Receive calls from buyers
Show property
Get paperwork signed/close

And yet, as Michael said, deals aren't cookie cutter at all. Sometimes you make offers sight unseen that are accepted, sometimes the deal doesn't come till you are at the property and pull out paperwork and talk it through. Sometimes they call you about a LP and it turns out to be a pure option because they offer you a wholesale price. Additionally, as you can imagine, working with buyers can be a highly variable process.

Get dirty. Go see a property and see why they are selling it, then make an offer.

Also, ive picked up a lame duck property before. Sometimes you cant get a qualified buyer bc your numbers are off. You have a moral obligation to not get involved in a deal like that, in my opinion. Some people are dumb enough to hand you a pile of cash for a terrible investment (in this case, a misspriced LP). Don't take the bait, your reputation is worth more than that. And its easy to cut a deal loose: use your cancellation clause, give the seller a call and tell em the deal is done, and that's business: no hard feelings.
  • MichaelC and wildwestinvest! like this

#48861 Just saying Hi

Posted by MichaelC on 28 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

what does your card say Michael? just curious :D

Michael Carbonare
Drunkard, Lover, Con Man :rolleyes:

Actually, Daniel, you have one of my cards. The layout is straightforward:

Carbo Properties, LLC.
Specializing in Lease Purchase

And the usual assortment of contact info in the corners.
  • Shar and wildwestinvest! like this

#48317 The Seller's Price

Posted by <Steve> on 25 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

I just wanted to throw this out here as there has been a lot of talk about market values and the price the seller wants.

Getting the lowest purchase price and rent amount is key to getting a good deal. Sellers will always tell you what they WANT not what they NEED. The idea is to get the seller to agree to a lower price of what they need not what they want.

I typically talk about price towards the end of the conversation after building a rapport with the seller and have most all of my questions answered.

I ask, “Mr. Seller do you know the market value of your house, what your house would appraise for?” The seller gives me some number.

I then ask, “So, what is the lowest amount you NEED for your house?” By this time the seller knows they do not have to pay commissions, fees or closing cost or I will remind them and I will get a bit lower number.

At this point when I get this number it is still what they Want not what they Need. I will then respond in a way that makes it sound like they are absolutely CRAZY! for wanting such a price. I respond, and then sit very quite…

REALLY!? IS THAT THE LOWEST PRICE YOU CAN GO!!!?

I then sit quite and don’t say anything else. It may only be a few seconds but it feels like a life time. I can feel the seller uncomfortably squirming in the silence. Then the seller dependant on motivation and situation surprisingly comes up with a number they need and it can be in the thousands of dollars lower than their want price.

The goal for me is to get the lowest purchase price the seller needs for his house, to get the lowest price possible to make the deal work.

What do you do? Or do you?
  • MichaelC and DeeLight like this

#47954 3.8% Home Sales NEW Tax

Posted by pilot76180 on 05 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

I'm still not sure why there is socialized medicine coverage...I pay $130 a month for my premiums as a self employed guy...I don't need NObama or anyone else paying for my premiums....
Oh wait.....VOTES and CONTROL....
That's why.....
  • bwalston and ErikOk like this

#47622 Seller Option Fee Confusion

Posted by BTI on 27 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

I have never seen the forms used in Michaels course but one thing I personally would never do is label something as the down payment even in passing I would make sure it is clear that it is nonrefundable option money but it will be allowed as a credit toward the total purchase price in a manner acceptable to the buyer if the option is exercised in a timely manner..And of course the purchase price reflects that. Labeling it down payment may come back to bit you in the rear in some courtroom some day.. And I've been bitten there enough times and would like to avoid more teeth marks.
  • bwalston and Shar like this

#47363 For sale by owner contacting

Posted by MichaelC on 23 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

I can't imagine the REPs* are coming for you if you contact a homeowner on that site. You aren't an Agent or Broker and you aren't soliciting the homeowner for a listing, which is what I suspect they are wanting to prevent. It isn't difficult to make the argument you are approaching the homeowner as an interested principal in the deal.
  • <Steve> and rdraiss like this

#48540 Tenant Credit Worthiness and Background Checks

Posted by MichaelC on 22 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

This website just came to my attention. Don't know much about it but I wanted to share it. Looks like it could be helpful: http://www.LeaseRunner.com
  • <Steve> and Propertymagnets like this