The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
-Tony-

Lease purchase vs. Lease w/seperat option

I understand L/P= lease and option to buy together but, which is better L/P or L/O and could you explain why?

Thanks Tony

Hi, Tony. I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking what the difference is between a lease purchase agreement and a lease with option to purchase agreement?

If so, here is my take on this often asked and argued topic. Some will make the argument that a lease purchase obligates the tenant/buyer to purchase the property within the agreed to time frame. Whereas a lease with an option to purchase is just that: a tenant/buyer has the option but not the obligation to purchase the property.

I use these terms, as well as Rent to Own, interchangeably. A homeowner is fooling himself if he thinks his house is any closer to being sold with a lease purchase than with a lease option. The property is either sold, and the title has changed hands, or it has not sold and the title remains the same. The fact that a tenant/buyer has obliged himself to purchase the property within a certain timeframe doesn't mean he will. What happens if he doesn't? Sure, the homeowner can take legal action. He'll probably win, too. Did you ever hear of a hollow victory? Well, this would be one example. The tenant/buyer is still not going to buy the house if he doesn't want to or cannot.

Thus, to me the idea of a lease purchase is not realistic and practical, and you are misleading any homeowner if you are not clear that you are leasing with an option to purchase.

let me clarify to some extent...I understand people use l/p to mean 1 form combining lease and the option.

my Question is it better to keep the lease and option seperate (2 Forms) or together as 1 Form (L/P)

thanks Tony

Tony, for what it's worth, im new to this game too but I used to ask the same question. First of all, what everyone tells me is to not get confused by the 2 terms, they are the same, interchangable. As for keeping the 2 agreements separate, anyone I have ever asked has said yes. They say this is good to do to keep yourself safe in case the agreement ever gets to a courtroom. If the agreements are separate it will be harder for a judge to reclassify the agreement as a sale, instead of what it is, an L/O or L/P. Again, im new too, but take it for what it's worth.

Jim

Tony, Jim is correct but I want to further clarify.

When I do my deal with the homeowner my Pesidential Lease with Option to Purchase Agreement is one document. This is by design.

When I do my deal with the tenant/buyer, I use two separate Agreements: my Residential Lease Agreement, and my Option to Purchase Agreement. This, too, is by design.

Just as Jim noted, keeping the Agreements separate and distinct when doing a deal with the tenant/buyer puts them in a weaker position to claim they have equitable interest in the property.

On the other hand, by having one Agreement with the homeowner, you are in a stronger position to make that claim should the need ever arise.

Hope this helps.......

MC

thanks Jim

and

Thanks MichaelC

never thought of it that way :D

but I would also think that if a (I have to say it) DOS clause was called the combined form would not help your case. I don't understand how with an option it can get called (no sale has taken place) but, thats just me I guess.

Tony

Tony, in my opinion the DOS clause is a minor concern that I don't give much thought to. From personal experience I have never had it happen to me in any deal I've been involved in.

It seems to me there would need to be a remarkable and unlikely string of events for a lender to call a loan because said lender discovered the homeowner agreed to a lease with an option.

Doesn't make any sense to me as banks and lenders do not, at all, want foreclosed properties in their portfolio.

ROGER THAT,

I agree and am not to worried about the DOS

Tony