The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
moneynfast

option consideration

MichaelC when I ask the t/b what is the most they can put down they tell me, and I just write it down should I be saying something else, or just wait until I get a house on contract?

MichaelR

If you mean when you are first speaking with them, just for the purpose of collecting a database of tenant/buyers, just write down what they are telling you.

Later on, when you have an actual property to deal, you start calling back all your prospects. At that time I would say something like, "Mr. Jones, when we spoke last month you mentioned you had $5,000 option money available for when you found the house that you and your wife liked. Well, I have this property now that seems to be exactly what you're looking for, but it will require $8,000 option money. Is this something that is possible for you?

Listen to what they say. You just may get your asking amount. You may find out they definitely do not have any more than the $5,000 they quoted. Or perhaps you'll reach a happy medium and reach an understanding for $6,500 or thereabouts. In any event, throw the question in their laps and see what comes of it.