The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Golflover

What to say to the seller when you live in an apt?

Ok Group, I need your help:

I live in an apartment and eventually would love to L/O a home to purchase once I have enough cash flow that I can quit my job and live a comfortable life doing real estate.

In the calls i've made, I get the seller asking what type of home im looking for and i let them know that im living in an apartment and this is actually NOT for me, and you can tell they are taken back at that. I'm sure they are trying to figure out what my motivation is to help them out and not find a place for myself.

I have thought about telling the sellers my situation doesn't concern this transaction, but not sure how to say it without sounding like a smarta$$. Truthfully, I have nothing to lose by saying that since you can sense their tone changes once they find out that im a renter.

Has anyone else had this obstacle? I would like to hear your input on how to overcome this potential deal killer.

Hey Golflover,

Are you running the ad Michael has in his manual?

(I don't have it...Paypal got screwy on me..I'll try later) :o

So, I don't know what it says word-for-word...but, it's something to the effect of "family looking for a home to lease with the option to purchase" ,yes?

Well, that phrase isn't a lie, is it?

I mean, you are looking for a home to lease with an option to purchase, yes?

And since you say you're not looking for the home yourself, you are looking for a family (so you can sell to them ;) ), correct?

Just tell 'em that you have some folks who are interested in buying a home, *with the stipulations that's in your advertising*.

You, living in an apartment, should have nothing to do with what your trying to accomplish, and shouldn't be brought up in your conversations with sellers.

The most important (and simplest) way to handle these type of situations is to be honest.

I don't know what else to say for now. My pain meds are starting to kick in. ;)

So, hopefully what I just told ya makes sense.

I'm sure some of the others will come up with something else.

..I'll keep my fingers crossed that the info I gave ya didn't sound stupid.

Hope this helps,

Jason

Thanks Jason,

Maybe i wasn't clear on what I was talking about. I called a guy that was selling his house and he asked me if it was for me and i told him no i was looking for a family that was looking for a good house blah blah blah. He asked what part of the town i lived in and i made the huge mistake of saying i lived in an apartment...that may have killed it right there :o i guess the best thing is to just not let them know, i don't want to say i live in a mansion, i guess i'll just avoid my living conditions.

Golflover, it seems to me that you aren't making clear to the homeowner that you are not looking for a property for yourself. Otherwise, why would you be asked about your present location and residence?

Try explaining to the homeowner you operate a business, that you transact real estate deals between buyers and sellers, (or something like that), and that you have buyers waiting and the homeowner's property might fit your needs. That should preclude any need for any homeowner to ask about your personal situation.

Hey golflover, If I was ask that question. I would say I am moving back to Arizona to be close to my grandsons, So that is why I am not in a home Mr or Mrs

Seller.

MichaelR :o