The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums

Im confused. I found a company that can set up an LLC for $85 for my state. I called my secretary of state and they said its $300 to file and even if i pay the $85 to the company i still have to pay the $300 to file with the secretary of state...what gives? does anyone know how i can file cheaper and if so, why would i pay the $85 for basically nothing?

Im confused. I found a company that can set up an LLC for $85 for my state. I called my secretary of state and they said its $300 to file and even if i pay the $85 to the company i still have to pay the $300 to file with the secretary of state...what gives? does anyone know how i can file cheaper and if so, why would i pay the $85 for basically nothing?

Chances are that you may have misunderstood an advertisement or the advertiser may be advertising his or her own fees to create the corporation for $85. The advertisement should state $85 plus state filing fees. You should also be aware that some states also have publishing fees. These are fees that you must pay to publish in a legal paper that your entity exists. New York is one such state.

If you want to form a corporation cheaper, do it yourself. There are plenty of books to show you how.

Daniel Ng, JD/LL.B

Foreign Exchange Speculator

http://www.tradetheyen.com

Golflover, what state are you located?

Companies that set up your LLC are in it, obviously, for the money. Nothing wrong with that. They provide a service and charge a fee. The consumer decides if they want the service.

Truth is, setting up an LLC in most states is relatively simple. That's why I asked where you're located. You go to your state's Secretary of State website, and most of the info you need is right there, including phone numbers to be able to ask any questions.

As bumbling as I am with these types of things, I have been able to set up LLC's in my state without a problem. Total time, about ten minutes per. And the cost here is only $100, with an annual renewal of $50.