The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
GetErDun

California Wildfires

So I've been watching the reports on the California wild fires closely. I used to live there, have friends there now, and want to move back in about 1.5 years.

I'm wondring what everybody thinks the fires will do to the RE market? Theres around 3000 houses burned.

I thiink some people will move out of state but that many will stay and rebuild. Particularly, I think at least half will rebuild on the same site. I figure they are settled in an "area" and want to stay there (especially if they have kids in school).

I also see a big increase in the need for rentals for the next year. I bet everything gets rented up and rents go sky high. Too bad I can't buy a property over there now to rent or LO! (NO, not to gouge, but to have slightly higher rent and no vacancies) I figure CA (San Diego) will still be at the bottom or starting to rebound in 1.5 years and am wondering how this might affect things.

What do you all think?

I was wondering the same thing, too. What affect would these fires have on the local real estate market. I have to think that if there is any good to come of this disaster, it is that the housing market will receive a big impetus. Those houses need to be rebuilt. That means construction jobs, a need for temporary housing and rentals, insurance money and federal aid pouring into the area, etc.