The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Doug Pretorius (ON)

Behind Enemy Lines

Poker, most of them are CAs where I will split the option money with the agent. One of them is a "hybrid SLO", on that one (which is still potentially alive) the seller and agent will split the option money and I will get the cash flow. Since I don't get any money upfront I also don't take responsibility for vacancy or repairs. I'm basically just managing the deal.

...and the plot thickens...

An agent called me yesterday to ask for help filling a rental he has listed. What's next?!?

I'm guessing you become a licensed Broker, and you make life miserable for all Canadian based Naked Investors.

Poker, most of them are CAs where I will split the option money with the agent. One of them is a "hybrid SLO", on that one (which is still potentially alive) the seller and agent will split the option money and I will get the cash flow. Since I don't get any money upfront I also don't take responsibility for vacancy or repairs. I'm basically just managing the deal.

Thanks for the response Doug. I`ve encountered a seller or two that were frustrated with their agents and considered lease to owns, good to see its still an option. In your experience, do you always deal with the agent first? I`m wondering if I can work out a deal with the seller and just notify the agent of whats occuring and offer the split just to keep them happy. Maybe it would minimise the chances of them mucking it up?

I deal with agents only by accident (eg. their ad doesn't say anything about them being agents). But if your intention is to work with the agent (splitting fees and such) then you should get them on board first. If you blindside them they're likely to say or do whatever it takes to scare the seller into breaking the deal.