The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Guest Diver

Sending Forms? CA deal

Guest Diver

HELP - I have a customer across the State that wants me to send him my CA Lease and Opt. to Purch. forms so he can read them and hopefully sign. Is it wise to do this? Also he has this with a Realtor only to find him renters. Is that a big problem? Diver

You never want to send a potential seller any blank paperwork. Most of the time once they have the paperwork they think they can do the deal themselves.

Time to role play. I'm the homeowner who just received your contracts. . .

Me: (talking to my wife) "Peg, I just got a copy of the paperwork we need to do a lease option from that guy I've been talking to. You know, between the paperwork and what he told me on the phone, I think we can do this ourselves."

Peg: "Oh, Al, you're the best!"

In other words, Diver, we never fax or email our contracts to anyone. Doing so puts them in business for themselves and makes you unnecessary. If the homeowner is local, I show up with my paperwork and it leaves when I do. If they're out of state, I explain that on the advice of my attorney "It is against company policy to transmit blank contracts. Otherwise, Mr. Homeowner, it can be construed as practicing law without a license."

Now, I have no idea if that's true, but it works more times than not. But if they insist on seeing the contracts right away, they're BS'ing you and have no intention of doing business with you. For the homeowner who is serious, the last thing they need is to look over the paperwork. I first want a verbal commitment that they are OK with the terms of the deal, and I want to be sure they have a full understanding of how it all works. At that point they'll get to see the paperwork, already knowing that it is very pro-homeowner and this is the best deal they are going to find.