The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Guest Diver

Dealing with Realtors

Guest Diver

OK good naked people,

When looking for leads on craigslist I quite frequently come across posts listed by owner and low and behold its a Realtor.

I was under the impression that it was illegal for Realtors to post this way. Ya know not disclosing they are Realtors. Now I'm sure that some are owners and put their Realtors name on the post but not all the time. What if anything can I do about this? Its fustrating when I call and find out they are not the owner. Thanks, Diver

:glare:

OK good naked people,

When looking for leads on craigslist I quite frequently come across posts listed by owner and low and behold its a Realtor.

I was under the impression that it was illegal for Realtors to post this way. Ya know not disclosing they are Realtors. Now I'm sure that some are owners and put their Realtors name on the post but not all the time. What if anything can I do about this? Its fustrating when I call and find out they are not the owner. Thanks, Diver

:wacko:

You can go to the local Association of Realtors that the realtor belongs to. You can search the membership online to see if the realtor is a member. Undoubtedly, there will me mention on the website on how to file an ethics complaint. But before you do this, you may want to consider reminding the realtor that they are in violation of their board's ethics ... and see if the realtor has learned their lesson by refusing to violate again. I mention this because once you file a complaint, you WILL have results. There are volunteer realtors on those ethics committees that have nothing better to do than to make a realtor's life a living hell for several months until the hearings are over. I am a realtor/investor and I know of one woman who dedicates her life looking for the slightest infractions in a realtor's advertising. She then files a complaint and successfully prosecutes and gets a $1000 fine slapped on the 'offending' realtor. She does not make money doing this. But this is her life's work. Oh ... and ... how do I know this for a fact??? She didn't like getting a postcard from me at one of her rentals where I stated the name of my lease purchase company ... but not the name of my brokerage. To this day, I'm glad that I kept my cool ... we could have both ended up portrayed in a Lifetime Movie. Her part would have been shorter than mine :).

Diver, don't waste your energy on such a trivial pursuit. Yeah, I run into this frequently, also. In my area, Craig's List has broken down their real estate listings by Realtors and FSBO's. Nevertheless, there are still many Agents who spam the FSBO section with their listings. When I see this I always flag it as miscategorized and let the powers that be at Craig's List take over. Then I just move on.

Diver, don't waste your energy on such a trivial pursuit. Yeah, I run into this frequently, also. In my area, Craig's List has broken down their real estate listings by Realtors and FSBO's. Nevertheless, there are still many Agents who spam the FSBO section with their listings. When I see this I always flag it as miscategorized and let the powers that be at Craig's List take over. Then I just move on.

So you are the one?

So you are the one?

Hehe. Guilty as charged. :wacko:

Guest Diver

OOOOH Maaaan, the truth be told. OK Michael how many leads come from your other profession? Most? better yet do you know of any investor friendly Realtors in my area?

Hey there Diver....

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago before Craigslist divided the category into "owner" and "broker". I was trying to find owners and at least twice per week came across ninja Realtor ads.

I usually just sent an email to the offender with a "copy and paste" from the National Association of Realtors website:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr or Ms So-in-so,

I'm sure it was just an oversight that you did not disclose the name of your Brokerage in your ad. Being that you advertise on Craigslist frequently, we're sure that you will make the appropriate change and it will not happen again. I'm sure a violation of the Code of Ethics is not in the best interest of your Brokerage.

Code of Ethics and Standards

of Practice, National

Association of REALTORS®

Article 12

REALTORS® shall be honest and truthful in their real estate communications and shall present a true picture in their advertising, marketing, and other representations. REALTORS® shall ensure that their status as real estate professionals is readily apparent in their advertising, marketing, and other representations, and that the recipients of all real estate communications are, or have been, notified that those communications are from a real estate professional. (Amended 1/08)

Standard of Practice 12-5

REALTORS® shall not advertise nor permit any person employed by or affiliated with them to advertise listed property in any medium (e.g., electronically, print, radio, television, etc.) without disclosing the name of that REALTOR®'s firm in a reasonable and readily apparent manner. (Adopted 11/86, Amended 1/07)

Standard of Practice 12-6

REALTORS®, when advertising unlisted real property for sale/lease in which they have an ownership interest, shall disclose their status as both owners/landlords and as REALTORS® or real estate licensees. (Amended 1/93)

Sincerely,

Darin "aka.....Realtor Bounty Hunter" Ray

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

All but one of the "offenders" either appoligized or immediately changed their ad. The only one that still hasn't changed their advertising is guess who...............MY FORMER BROKER!

So....

I went into see my new Broker and asked him about the process of filing a complaint. After a 47 hour explaination of the process, I decided that it wasn't worth my time to go through all the hoops to have him get a slap on the wrist. All I do now is shoot off the above "form email" in hopes they change their ad. I have better things to do with my time than play Good Realtor Cop/Bad Realtor Cop no matter how much enjoyment I would get out of it. :wacko:

Guest Diver

Thanks All for some very good answers, and Darin that's just what I was looking for. Thank You, Diver

JR....

Yep.... Here in South Carolina, I'm a SCLREA. Sounds kinda like a medical term. :wacko:

JR....

Yep.... Here in South Carolina, I'm a SCLREA. Sounds kinda like a medial term. :)

Just wondering. . .if I'm licensed in Delaware, Iowa, and Alabama, would that make me a member of DIAREA? :wacko:

Guess I better not give up the day job yet. . .