The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
fanelli19

Property Mgt. Companies

During my craigslist marketing techniques, I met up with an older friend who runs a property management/renovation business. I told him what I was doing with CA's and also mentioned how I would also do a CA with a rent only seller. Anyway he knows that I am unemployed and looking for ideas so he said that he would be looking for someone to set up appointments and show vacant rental units to tenants. He would do all of the background screenings and evaluate any interested tenants. I would just have to take the calls and set up the showings.

I negotiated 1/2 of the first month's rent as my fee. Now this might not seem like a lot but I wanted to approach other property mgt co's and real estate co's with this same service. It may fill in the time while I'm pounding the pavement for CA's and also earn some bread for my time.

What is the best way to make sure that I am paid from the deal? I thought about entering into a lease agreement with each house with either the owner or the prop mgt company and then assigning the lease over to the winning tenant, but I don't know how much control I would have on something like this. I don't want to approach new clients with a confusing approach to my services, but at the same time what could be done to make sure that they compensate me after I have shown the winning tenant the property?

I think you're going to find that other property management companies will be reluctant to use you in the same capacity as your friend is. After all, isn't that what they do in the first place? Setting appointments to show properties is probably priority number one with them.

I think you're going to find that other property management companies will be reluctant to use you in the same capacity as your friend is. After all, isn't that what they do in the first place? Setting appointments to show properties is probably priority number one with them.

My theory with this is (and I'm not being harsh towards MC's comments but I've given this some thought)

There would be a cost savings benefit to any propery management company if they wouldn't have to answer every single tenant phone call, answer the same questions over and over, and run all over town and show vacant properties to "tire kickers". Eventually a good tenant will come along but how much of their valuable time gets wasted by going to several "no show" appointments every week?

Their goal should be to go out there and find new clients. And their new clients are landlords not tenants. And besides, they can save a lot of money on fuel and potential labor costs. Companies are outsourcing everything these days. Why wouldn't they outsource this very mundane task? I do all of the work and then send the one tenant that likes the place to their office for an application. I may have showed the house to 8 people and spoke with 20. But the most interested tenant is handed to them without them lifting a finger. By me doing the "dirty work" they can now focus on growing their clients and their business.

Thanks in advance to all who provide their input.

I see your point, but I'm putting myself in the position of the company owner. If I already have a staff on hand, whose primary responsibility is to fill vacancies, I don't think I would be open to the idea of bringing in an outsider to do their job. In addition, I don't know if you're a licensed Agent, but you I'm almost positive you must be to do the work you're describing.

Many management companies have any potential tenant come into their office to get a key to the property. The potential tenant puts down a key deposit and views the property on their own and returns the key to the office when done.