The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
blaklabrat

Stumbling across other investors

Hi all!!! My name is Ayse (pronounced Ice). I am a new investor and was referred here by pilot!! First a little about me: I am a 23 year old Air Force wife currently stationed in Colorado Springs. No kids yet, we want to have a nice financial cushion before we start. I have been interested in real estate for years and I've been actively researching investing for about a year now (only buying what we could afford of course) by buying books (and not buying books, but just sitting in bookstores reading), reading articles and forums online, and just being a general mooch. I am in insufferable know-it-all by self-proclamation (anyone who really knows me well says so also, although acquaintances just think I'm simply a sweet, intelligent girl), but I am certainly a sponge for information and completely willing to learn. Oh, I am also a bookworm and a gamer :P I don't have cash or credit to invest, but I do have tenacity and successful selling experience.

I've been lurking around the forums for the past day and I have learned so much! When I first decided to invest in RE I thought I would start off as a dealer. But after reading up on Lease Purchasing and CAs I thought it sounded much easier and I am very attracted to being able to help out people that otherwise may not have been able to purchase a home (which is actually the situation I am in ;) ). I've been perusing Craigslist for sellers and buyers/tenants and have ran across mostly other investors trying to do the same thing. Eeek!! Does this happen a lot to the rest of you?

Also, after I generate enough revenue doing CAs and maybe even SLOs, I would like to get into actual rehabbing. Is this a path that many Lease Purchase investors take?

I am a moocher right now :P but I do plan on buying the Manual once I get my tax return back and hopefully investing in the mentoring program because I've heard such great things about it and I'm positive it would be helpful (but we are seriously SO broke right now). Thanks everyone for being here and being so helpful.

I keep waiting for my referral check from MC...I'm sure it's just taking a while to get here from Florida....

This is the place to learn LO's for sure!

I think you'll find a lot of investors on Clist, as well as "man seeking relationship with animal", 75 RPM records for sale....

I think LO's are THE way to start in real estate, as you get to learn the ropes without risking your 401K, so when you decide to do rehab or whatever, you know more than most investors in the area.

Hello, Ayse, and welcome to The Naked Investor!

John Jackson referred you? I sense another banned member any day now. :P

Obviously I have a bias about this stuff, but that my bias is based on my experience. There is no better way for the newcomer than to start with lease purchasing, particularly Cooperative Assignments. No risk, minimal capital required, and by far the easiest type of deal to get the homeowner to agree to.

For now, work within your budget. Do some reading, come here with your questions, and you'll start building the foundation of what can be a very profitable business. Just remember it doesn't happen overnight, no matter what those guys tell you on those late night infomercials.

Hey, whatever happened to Tom Vu anyway?? ^_^

Thanks MC!

I've only ever seen half of one of those infomercials. I picked up one of the books on "how to make a million in real estate in just three minutes" or something like that and the book seriously contained no useful information. As a salesperson I know when I'm just being sold something and I hate being treated like an idiot (even if it's not directly aimed at me personally). I know that education and hard work are the keys to being successful in anything.

Anyway I'm actually gonna order the manual Friday (hubby gave the go-ahead ^_^ ). Hopefully by next week I'll be in here telling ya'll about my first deal.

Lol MC. By the way, I have another question. I suppose it might be a marketing question but its been irking me for a while. I said in my first post that my name is pronounced "ice", but that's not exactly true. It's really proniunced "eye-sha", but I've had the name my whole life (duh) and i love it but it is so hard for people to pronounce. It's Turkish (im American myself but the origin of the name is another story) so I think people get very confused. Lately I've been telling people its pronounced "ice" because it makes sense to most people and they go "oh that's cool". I was thinking that maybe the true pronunciation might be a marketing nightmare if peiple can't say my name. I know if works that way for business entity names so I figured it must be doubly so for actual names. What are your opinions?

I would seriously not worry about your name affecting any marketing you do. If anything, it might help!

Think about it, someone sees or hears your name and if you can make an association to ice or something, they've got an easy way to remember you. You won't blend in with all the "normal" names that are marketing to them at the same time.

I agree with Chris! Pity of us who have common names, those with different names stand out, are remembered more easily, and give the whole conversation a different flair.

Only issue with a unique name is that you're instantly Google-searchable, so beware where you put your name out there (including this site!).

Like the guys said, the pronunciation and spelling of your name is memorable. I see it as a plus for your marketing. If anyone is curious, tell 'em you were conceived backstage during a Vanilla Ice concert back in the day. Now, that's a cool story. ^_^

post-1-1295895552.jpg

Lol Vanilla Ice. I get that all the time.

Arod, I was thinking the same thing. Might have to delete my Twitter account and start over ^_^

I wish I could come up with a catchy ice-related business name. I might ponder that before I get my manual.

Thanks for the advice.

Are we seriously having this discussion????

Really????

Worried about our names???

HELLOOOOO!!!!!

My name is JOHN...I was named after a TOILET!!!!!

Yeah.....

word to ya motha.....HA!