The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Doug Pretorius (ON)

Keeping control of long distance deals

Hey guys & gals hope you've all been well :)

My site is generating a ton of leads outside of my home market and rather than continue to sell them all as I have been doing I'd like to pursue the best of them as long distance CAs or consulting deals. As of right now all of my leads are tenant/buyers, but that's OK because finding willing sellers in this market is like falling off a log.

My question is, what have you guys found is the best way to maintain control of the deal to ensure you get paid? With the buyer and seller meeting in person at the home in question all without you being anywhere near (or ever physically meeting either party) it's all too easy for them to say: "Hey, let's cut out the middleman..." So I'd like to get your input on what works for you in protecting your interests.

Wow! A Doug Pretorius sighting! :o The long Yukon winter must be nearing an end. :)

There's no way to guarantee that your dealings with everyone will go according to plan. When money is involved, greed will rear its ugly head on occasion. It's the exception rather than the rule, in my experience, but there will be a time or three when some homeowner will try and stick it to you.

What to do? Well, for starters, strong agreements protecting your interest in the deal are a must. I also trust my instincts when it comes to people. If I get a bad vibe about someone I'm usually right and I'll avoid the deal as a result.

When the deal gets to the point where the t/b is signing the agreements and bringing money to the table, it's key to remind the t/b your payment is due at that time via a cashiers check or money order. If the money is turned over to the homeowner, your chances of getting paid go down dramatically.

Hey Doug, long time.

I am not sure what area, but you may want to consider teaming up with someone here on the Naked that is in a specific area.

If you're doing these as consultations, why not charge your fee up front, that way you don't have to worry about getting paid or not?

MC, yes I poked my head out of the igloo and didn't see my shadow so I figured it was time to post on the naked investor :)

Steve, yeah that could work especially with some of my US clients. Most at the moment are coming from within Ontario though. I just don't want to drive to do them.

Chris, I'm shooting for half of the move in money so it's going to be a bit tough to convince someone to pay that upfront. If that doesn't work out though and I end up dropping it to a flat $500 or something, then I definitely will collect it upfront and not worry about it.