The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
HFP

Qualifying a TB

What criteria do you use to deem a potential TB qualified? Credit report, income, employment history etc.? I would appreciate hearing how everyone goes about determining the potential TB.

Thank you for your time.

Chad

Chad, you asked and answered your own question. :)

MC,

Are you looking for a particular score on the credit report? If so, what is the score? How are you qualifying based on the income?

Thank you

Chad

I'm not looking for a specific score. I'm more interested in looking at the overall report and then talking to the applicants to hear their story with regards to any negatives. For example, did an illness cause him to fall behind on credit card payments? Did his company fail and he laid off as a result? Divorce? Etc.

All these things can happen and create havoc in someone's financial picture. I'm not comfortable relying on cold, hard numbers to judge someone.

I'm not looking for a specific score. I'm more interested in looking at the overall report and then talking to the applicants to hear their story with regards to any negatives. For example, did an illness cause him to fall behind on credit card payments? Did his company fail and he laid off as a result? Divorce? Etc.

All these things can happen and create havoc in someone's financial picture. I'm not comfortable relying on cold, hard numbers to judge someone.

Thanks MC, I understand what you're saying. What about their monthly income? Should their rent be a certain percentage of their monthly income?

Thanks

Chad

That depends upon their other debt obligations, obviously. For example, if they are burdened with heavy credit card debt and a car payment, the amount of rent they could afford would be less than if they were debt free. Use your good judgement and, very important if doing a CA, let the homeowner make the final decision. Offer your opinions if asked, but I always leave that call up to the homeowner.

That depends upon their other debt obligations, obviously. For example, if they are burdened with heavy credit card debt and a car payment, the amount of rent they could afford would be less than if they were debt free. Use your good judgement and, very important if doing a CA, let the homeowner make the final decision. Offer your opinions if asked, but I always leave that call up to the homeowner.

Thanks for your help!

As the above, I am also wanting to know Criminal History.

Jonathan,

Are you simply asking them about their criminal history (ie on the lease application) or are you somehow checking it out?

Chad

It is on my application if they have been convicted of a felony within the last 10 years. If so what was it. Depending on the degree and how soon it was, it is a judgment call. Such as a sexual offender....etc

It is on my application if they have been convicted of a felony within the last 10 years. If so what was it. Depending on the degree and how soon it was, it is a judgment call. Such as a sexual offender....etc

Jonathan,

Thanks for sharing!

Chad