The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
happyardy

finding a realtor to work with

Hello,

In cities like mine where we dont have title insurance companies to get comps from, is finding a co-operative realtor my only option for comps ?

If it is, then how does one approach them ? Just out of yellow pages ? What do I say to them ? Working with a realtor to get more business etc is something that I can worry about later. My first concern is to get reliable comps on properties.

thanks

- Ardy

Ardy, having a Realtor in your corner is certainly one way to get accurate sales data. Your best bet is to find someone who, like yourself, is just starting out in the business. His/her enthusiasm will match your's, and they will also be looking to network, just as you are.

On the other hand, if you try and network with some 15 or 20 year veteran, you're going to be met with a great yawn. They are probably set in their ways and aren't interested in what you have to offer.

Ardy, having a Realtor in your corner is certainly one way to get accurate sales data.

Thanks, MC.

Do we have any other way of getting comps, in case the agents that I talk to arent interested?

I'll be calling the broker office(s). Will continue the search till I find a co-operative agent. Since that could take some time, I was wondering if there is any other source of comps.

- Ardy

I don't know if your province of Canada makes real estate transactions public. Here in the US, all but six states offer full disclosure. So the many online sources of real estate data suffice just fine. . .unless you happen to live in one of those six non-disclosure states. I did, for a number of years. New Mexico is one of those states, and what I would do when stuck for values is start by cruising the neighborhood where the property in question was located. I was looking for all listed properties. I would then call the listing agent and play the part of a potentially interested buyer and get some general info, including asking price. I would do this on all listed properties I could find. This gave me a ballpark of at least the asking price. Granted, it isn't as telling as the actual selling price, but it was a start. If something seemed out of kilter I was not opposed to asking the homeowner how they arrived at their asking price. They may have in their possession a recent appraisal they paid for. More likely, they could have had a Realtor run some comps for them. This would also help me determine value. If it turns out they pulled the number out of their, uh, hat, then you are best to err on the side of conservatism and make a low ball offer.

Keep in mind that a helpful mortgage broker will have access to sales transactions, and he/she may be willing to help if you can bring them some business in the form of loan applicants.

I don't know if your province of Canada makes real estate transactions public. Here in the US, all but six states offer full disclosure. So the many online sources of real estate data suffice just fine. . .unless you happen to live in one of those six non-disclosure states. I did, for a number of years. New Mexico is one of those states, and what I would do when stuck for values is start by cruising the neighborhood where the property in question was located. I was looking for all listed properties. I would then call the listing agent and play the part of a potentially interested buyer and get some general info, including asking price. I would do this on all listed properties I could find. This gave me a ballpark of at least the asking price. Granted, it isn't as telling as the actual selling price, but it was a start. If something seemed out of kilter I was not opposed to asking the homeowner how they arrived at their asking price. They may have in their possession a recent appraisal they paid for. More likely, they could have had a Realtor run some comps for them. This would also help me determine value. If it turns out they pulled the number out of their, uh, hat, then you are best to err on the side of conservatism and make a low ball offer.

Keep in mind that a helpful mortgage broker will have access to sales transactions, and he/she may be willing to help if you can bring them some business in the form of loan applicants.

MC, thanks a bunch.

- Ardy

I just use www.mls.ca to check out the competition. As MC says those aren't sale prices, but in these market conditions most houses will sell for pretty close to their asking price.

Ardy

There is a way to get comps here in Canada but there is a fee

try www.homevaluationscanada.com

Gord

Gord,

They dont cover NL.

- Ardy

I just use www.mls.ca to check out the competition. As MC says those aren't sale prices, but in these market conditions most houses will sell for pretty close to their asking price.

Doug,

St. John's is moving into a buyer's market. A lot of "For Sale" signs both by realtors as well as FSBOs. A lot of these signs have "New Price" etc also. So I doubt that houses in St. John's will sell preety close to their asking price.

Anyways, I am begining my search for a co-operative agent & a mortgage broker too. Hopefully will find one soon.

- Ardy

Ardy, particular houses yes, but the area in general will give you a good ballpark value. Remember that market value is a very subjective thing and impossible to pinpoint, the best you can do is 5 - 10% either way. That's the same as if you got multiple appraisals done.

Ardy

Gord

Gord,

They dont cover NL.

- Ardy

Hey There,

I found this posting by following some hits we got to our site on HomeValuationsCanada.com. We have sorta targeted the average home owner with our service and I was intrigued to see that some real estate investors are interested in this product. I wanted to know what you guys thought of the service, the price point, and any other thoughts you had.

If we had a service that provided just comparables for properties at a lower price would that be something that real estate investors would be interested in purchasing?

I would really appreciate any feedback. My email is ryan.grassie@homevaluationscanada.com if you do not want to post it.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ardy

Gord

Gord,

They dont cover NL.

- Ardy

Hey There,

I found this posting by following some hits we got to our site on HomeValuationsCanada.com. We have sorta targeted the average home owner with our service and I was intrigued to see that some real estate investors are interested in this product. I wanted to know what you guys thought of the service, the price point, and any other thoughts you had.

If we had a service that provided just comparables for properties at a lower price would that be something that real estate investors would be interested in purchasing?

I would really appreciate any feedback. My email is ryan.grassie@homevaluationscanada.com if you do not want to post it.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan,

I got your mail. Basically, at this point I am looking for property profiles and comps for houses that come on the market and that I would be interested in making offers on. I am going to look around for a co-operative RE agent who can help me with these things, but I would be interested in hearing from you about how much you will charge to provide just comps for a certain property. In comps, I would be looking for (typically 5 homes in similar sizes & features, same neighbourhood/subdivision and preferably sold less than 6 months ago). If you could let me know if you can do it & the charges, then that would be great.

You have my email address.

thanks

- Ardy(RD)

Ardy

Gord

Gord,

They dont cover NL.

- Ardy

Hey There,

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan,

I got your mail. Basically, at this point I am looking for property profiles and comps for houses that come on the market and that I would be interested in making offers on. I am going to look around for a co-operative RE agent who can help me with these things, but I would be interested in hearing from you about how much you will charge to provide just comps for a certain property. In comps, I would be looking for (typically 5 homes in similar sizes & features, same neighbourhood/subdivision and preferably sold less than 6 months ago). If you could let me know if you can do it & the charges, then that would be great.

You have my email address.

thanks

- Ardy(RD)

Ryan

That is something that I would be interested in as a new feature on your site. To be honest it would be nice to be able to get comps for a good price to be able to make better offers on homes.

Gord

Gord & Ardy,

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to be looking into this and asking my developers how much work it would be to produce an additional report that gives out just comparable sales.

Would a price point of somewhere around 7-9 dollars for a report look attractive?

Cheers,

Ryan