The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Guest Jack

Shorter lease terms

Guest Jack

Is a shorter lease term ( month-to-month ) better than a 1-2 yr. lease in the event I need to evict

or increase rent?

That depends upon what your objectives are with the particular property. For example, with a lease purchase type deal, every tenant/buyer you speak with is going to want time. The more the better. If you offer a six month rent to own, Jack, you'll be as lonely as the Maytag repair man. Few will want to commit nonrefundable option money with the risk of having but a few months to obtain financing.

On the other hand, if you are simply leasing a property, perhaps in an area that doesn't attract stability and is lower income, shorter term and month to month leases might be beneficial.

:) Jack

like Michael said. I dont think you will get to many people putting much option consideration down on a one month lease. I would do a year. You do need to check references to make sure you are getting a stable tenant/buyer. If for any reason you think someone is only worthy of a one month lease because you dont think they will pay you, then you do not want that person in your home. Consider the fact that you would have to evict this person. Its not worth it. A year gives you the piece of mind of knowing that home is handled for a year. You will be very busy if you have 20 homes under contract on one month leases.

Good Luck

Scot(pa)