The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Doug Pretorius (ON)

Cold Calling Statistics

I'd like to share my cold calling statistics, and ask that everyone share theirs as well. I'm really impressed with the success I've had and find it very encouraging to look back on these results, to inspire me to continue pressing onward.

Please share your statistics!

From a sampling of 47 calls to fresh FSBOs (no more than a week old).

I spoke to 32 live.

17 said no.

6 had listed with agents.

4 had already sold.

2 wanted me to follow-up later.

3 said yes.

After going over the numbers I set 2 appointments. And closed 1 Cooperative Assignment.

This was the results from one day of cold calling?  Those are pretty good numbers.

Those numbers are actually better than "pretty good". They're damn good. Think about it. If you could average one deal per 45 or 50 phone calls made, I daresay there would be a heck of a lot more folks picking up the phone, instead of dreading it.

Thanks for sharing that, Doug.

I'm really interested to know what other people's experience is. I have older cold call campaigns but I don't have the exact numbers. I do know that I have consistently been able to make 1 good appointment for every 20 or so calls.

If it's any encouragement to those dreading making those calls, here's one more statistic from the above sample. You notice that I had 5 good conversations? (the sellers were either somewhat, or very interested) Well, out of those 47 calls I came across only 1 jerk. All of the others were pleasant even though they weren't interested.

Another thing I like about dialing for dollars is that you can control when you make contact. When receiving calls some of them come at very inconvenient times making it difficult or impossible to answer live, and sometimes difficult to return promptly. But when you're making the calls you can schedule your lead generation on certain days or times of day that work for you.

I'm really interested to know what other people's experience is. I have older cold call campaigns but I don't have the exact numbers. I do know that I have consistently been able to make 1 good appointment for every 20 or so calls.

Well You'all know my story when it comes to cold calling FRBO :P but when I saw this post, I couldn't help it and made 4 calls to FRBO from today's paper and as always, I got 3 yes and 1 "I will discuss it with my wife" line ;) and is now up to me if I wanna proceed with them... (boy, if I could only get TB's as easy as I do homeowners, I would be one happy latin mermaid :) )

Oh, and by the way, one of the prospects I talked to sounded very cheerful and proud throughout the whole conversation and kept asking me the same question over and over again which is " doesn't my name sound familiar to you? Do you know who I am? " I kept telling him I've never heard his name before so he couldn't resist anymore and told me he is the father of Miss California 2000 :D

I'm like oh, congrats!!! He is so proud (how cute), anyway this business is not really boring to me, is sortta exciting, you never know who ya gonna deal with :P

BEV

You wrote about your ease in finding for rent by owners..............

Well You'all know my story when it comes to cold calling FRBO but when I saw this post, I couldn't help it and made 4 calls to FRBO from today's paper and as always, I got 3 yes and 1 "I will discuss it with my wife" line and is now up to me if I wanna proceed with them... (boy, if I could only get TB's as easy as I do homeowners, I would be one happy latin mermaid )

my question is ...oh well first i congratulate you on your sucsess, but what i was wondering is what it is you say when calling on rents?? , do you go right into your pitch or first find there motivation before you say what it is you say??

Also for you or any others , what are some of the pitches people say to for sale by owners??

and last , i just put out over 60 HAND Written signs in a HOT SELLERS market that said ........"'we buy houses ....above market price", and I have already received at least 20 call's (in less then 24 hours) some hang up's but i have there numbers , and some VM ,

But my question is , to any and all , i would like to hear all different approaches from everyone. So what would you say when the seller who just called you from a sign that said you buy at above market price

I know I should leave the door open up for all kinds of situation , and i will but as soon as i find out what i need to find out, instead of doing a l/P I want to just focus on a CA , so what would be some things you would say to get them excited. Also what would you say you are ...an investor ,a L/P consultant, a property manager, etc.. just would like to hear some different approaches

Oh one of the biggest reason besides the fact that this is a sellers market here , but the main reason i want to do CA is because I don't live in the area where i just put out these signs full time and it would be better for me to not have to worry about anything after i found the T/B

Well, they listened to the message. They have a concept on what we are going to talk to them about. Now we just have to bait the hook a little more. Get a commitment from them. Go see. Sign the paperwork. Load the property on the website. Get it moved and collect the money....Oh by the way...its 10:30 pm and there are 3 more calls and 2 voice mail messages.

Ed, first let me say that I'm glad you've joined the forum, your questions are all geared toward developing a CA-specific business model and that's a goal we all can benefit from.

The pitch I'm using with calling FSBOs is to get straight to the point as MC's manual recommends, with the question:

"I was wondering if you would be interested in selling your house Rent to Own?"

I've had success presenting myself as a property manager, but I'm testing out the consultant angle now and it seems to work a little better for CA's. "Investor" doesn't work for me, I find that sellers around here think that investor = can pay all cash full price. If I say I'm an investor and then present them with a creative offer, they're always like: "Why don't you just get a mortgage? What kind of 'investor' are you?"

I find people are quite comfortable with the idea of a Rent to Own Consultant, and when they find out I work for them at no cost to them, they really like that.

My main goal is to sort rather than convince. I might be missing some opportunities this way, but I personally find it more my style than trying to develop a solution for their problem on the fly. So I don't do much selling. When sellers ask what an RTO is I tell them it's exactly like leasing to own a car. Then I answer any specific questions they have and ask if that's something they would be interested in. Sometimes they say yes, sometimes no, and sometimes "send me more info" or "follow up later".

BEV

...my question is ...oh well first i congratulate you on your sucsess, but what i was wondering is what it is you say when calling on rents?? , do you go right into your pitch  or first find there motivation before you say what it is you say??

Thanks Ed,

What do I say to the FRBO's? Well this may sound crazy to some, but every call I used to make was exciting (I don't make calls .... so to speak, all my clients are from other past client's referrals).

My technique whenever I do make a call is to NEVER think of myself as if I am trying to sell something because I'm NOT! I never sound like a salesperson to the caller, I simply sound like I'm in a social call with one of my best friends and when I feel the caller is comfortable talking to me, I then ask them about something that goes like this..... " About your rental property, I'm always looking for rental properties in that area" and then owner would say something like.... "Really, why is that?" this is my ice-breaker, so I would say something like.... "because I'm helping a couple of families find properties like yours in that area willing to pay higher rent amount than what you're currently asking for" Everything that follows after this is pure smooth..... (most of the time is a yes), Oh, and the title that gets me all this business is " Rent To Own Professional!

Anyway, Ed is not a script what I just gave u, is just an idea of my natural way of being on the phone with people, no matter who's on the other end :lol:

Hope This Helps!