The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums

John, I would think by now the commission has some sort of rapid complaint filing system or has even gone automated, specifically for agents complaining about the listings they lost to you B)

Mike,

Have any real estate police ever said anything to you in the state of Florida???

Pete

Hi Doug

What did the e-mail say. How are they going about investigating you? Are they goiing through your garbage can? Bugging your phone? :blink: Seriously they should have better things to do like go out and try to make money. Those boards are all comprised of realtors anyway, how will they have time to investigate you and still make money? Just one more thing to blame Doug for. :ninja:

Gordon Holtner

Have you guys looked at the powers available to the investigators? They are listed in the Act under section 11/12/13. It is scary to think what measures they may take if they want to exercise their power.

Gordon, these aren't realtors. You're thinking of the real estate board. A board of realtors has no power whatsoever over non-realtors. I'm talking about the real estate council which investigates complaints against brokers, as well as complaints against people who they believe may be acting as brokers without a license. They are government employees charged with enforcing the Act, not real estate salespeople.

Peter, indeed. I wonder if they can enter your home without a warrent if you run your business from there?

Peter, indeed. I wonder if they can enter your home without a warrent if you run your business from there?

Unfortunately, I have first hand experience with investigators. (Due to the nature of our business) Investigators are very similar across different industries. They would not enter your property without a warrant. However, if they have any supporting information, they can persuade a judge to issue such warrant, This would allow them to enter the specified premises, do complete search of all records, and confiscate any material that they think would support their case.

Honestly, I would recommend that you review all of your records to make sure that everything is clean. It is much better than wake up at 5 am because there are 6 guys at your door and you don’t know what they are going to find.

The worst part, you will never know that they are coming.

I know that I've never even come close to brokering without a license and I have no signed contracts stating otherwise.

Doug,

If there have been other investors who have been investigated before and have come out successfully(they should have, since as we all know in LOs, CA deals etc, we are always in the PRINCIPAL; we arent brokering anything for anybody, with or without a fee), would it help you if you got a reference to a successful case so that the investigators know that you are doing the same thing? That would save you all the trouble of explaining to them what it is that you exactly do and how it is completely legal.

Just like in a court of law, when a lawyer references to a previous case, e.g Sally Sue Vs County of Cameron, 1978 etc where Sally Sue won a similar case.

I am sure you arent the first creative RE investor that they are investigating. What about other investors who have been investigated before and have come out of it successfully ? Is there a way you can contact them and get a reference to their case so that you dont have to waste much time, energy and efforts on the investigators?

I am really not experienced in these matters but just trying to help if I can.

- Ardy

Hi Doug

Thanks for the info I didn't know that they are government agents. Great the only problem with this is that you have to make absolutley sure to protect your self at all times. I would tape record any and all converstions with them so they can' t go back on something if they try to abuse you through any process and keep records of all correspondance. I would also find out who made the complaint just because the person who complained may be the hole in their investigation especially since you are not doing anything wrong. If I were you I would also figure who the investigators are and their history. It only goes to show that justice is often one sided the government will always have experts not necessarily trying to prove you didn't do anything they will often try to prove you did and spend lots of money to get there.

Gordon Holtner

Gordon, or... I could get licensed :ninja:

Surprisingly, the investigator told me who filed the complaint so now I know exactly how it happened.

Doug

You are planning to become a realtor now? Interesting I guess it would let you get on with your investing.

How did the complaint happen? Was it when you had problems with the realtor calling you over to house to take pics or was it when you used postcards to advertise to the MLS listings?

Gordon Holtner