The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Doug Pretorius (ON)

Post your favorite voicemail messages

Ok folks, I admit it, I'm frustrated! I psych myself up, put on my rejection-proof armor, pick up the phone, and... "Sorry we're not at home, please leave a message."

I've tried leaving a variety of messages but I rarely get a callback and when I do, they aren't interested in what I'm offering. So... I think it's time to share our favorite voicemail messages that get callbacks and/or website visits.

Here are a couple I've tried that have NOT worked for me:

"Hi, this is Doug Pretorius with Homes Everyday. I'm calling because we're looking for nice homes to buy in your area and we were wondering if you would be interested in selling on a Rent to Own? If so, give us a call at xxx-xxxx."

"Hi, this is Doug Pretorius with Homes Everyday. We're interested in buying your home. Call 725-1800 for a full price offer in 48 hours."

The first one doesn't get any callbacks, while the second one gets surprisingly few and none of them are motivated.

I'm thinking maybe the motivated ones are afraid of calling. So here's the one I thought I'd start using from today:

"This is Homes Everyday your local professional home buying service. Visit HomesEveryday.com for an instant, no obligation, offer to BUY your home."

Doug here is the one I use for my voice blasting.

Hello this is Jonathan Rexford with treasure coast home sellers DOT com. We noticed that you have a home for sale. Before you decide to list it with a real estate Broker you may want to find out how to Sell your house as is on the date of your choice. We buy houses and we would like to buy yours. If you are interested in a know hassle way of selling then call my operator 24hrs per day at 800-326-6214 where you will hear several reasons why people are wanting to sell or visit our website at www.Treasurecoasthomesellers.com. If you prefer to speak to me personally then call my Home Seller Cell phone at 772-321-2290. Thanks and have a Awesome day.

Doug, have you tried not naming your company on your messages? Some people may mistakenly assume you're a hustler or, worse, a. . .gasp. . .a Realtor. ;) They may have already received a few calls from Realtors looking for a listing. Why not try the same approach just saying "Hi. This is Doug. . ."

Thanks Jonathan.

MC, I have, but it seems that whenever I go the personal route I end up with sellers who refuse to sign when they find out I'll be making money off of their property.

Thanks Jonathan.

MC, I have, but it seems that whenever I go the personal route I end up with sellers who refuse to sign when they find out I'll be making money off of their property.

Odd. You mean they don't care if a company makes a buck, but fret if an individual does? ;)

I think it's more that they feel baited-and-switched. They're negotiating based on the belief that I will be living in the house myself, and then when they learn otherwise, they think they're getting cheated.

So I figure I have two alternatives:

1. I can tell them right upfront that they're dealing with a business so they can set their mind accordingly (and in reality there's little or no difference in the negotiation anyway).

2. Or I could sign them up first and then matter-of-factly tell them that I'll be showing the property on a certain date.

I can't blame any homeowner for feeling conned if they think you are inquiring about their property for your own personal residence, only to find out later on down the road that isn't the case at all. That's not what I was suggesting.

But if you leave a message as an individual rather than a business that may sound like a realty company to the seller, I have to believe you'll receive more callbacks. Then, once you are speaking to the homeowner you can begin to get into details. I can't help but think the more homeowners you speak to, the greater the likelihood of landing a deal.

Hay Doug;

far be it for a newbie like me to be giving you advice but a response that a bloke down here uses to sellers who expect you to help them for free is:

Seller....Seems to me your going to make a lot of profit on this.....

You: lets hope so...can you imagine doing business with a company that plans on making regular losses...

or

your right but it sounds to me like you'd be more comfortable doing business with Enron (or some other high profile company whose gone broke). .... (we have several to choose from.)

phone rings ......what can you do for me etc.

you ......... tell me about your problem but bear in mind that whatever I do is within the context that I do this for a living.

Doug from the samples you gave it seems to me that you are uptight talking with people or at least your samples made me feel that you are. Lossen up. just ask some brif questions about the property then hang up call back later ask some more question about the property, Then after you get you basic property info at least to run some comp on, call them back and tell what it 's you are trying to do and the benfits they will get by doing business with you. If for what ever reason it turns out to be a (no) then just move on.

I focus my outbound marketing on FRBOs; here's what's working for me:

"Hello, I'm calling about your rental property. If that's still available, I was wondering if you would be open to selling it at the end of the lease? If so, my name is Dan, I'm not a realtor -- please call me at 000-000-0000."

It's self-qualifying <_< If they call back, they're interested.

Dan

mega, been there done that. I no longer have any interest in talking to sellers about their houses unless they have already agreed to RTO to me. Then (and only then) am I interested in the details.

Dan, great to hear that's working for you! In the 6 years I've been doing this, I've only met one landlord who wanted to sell at the end of the lease. I did buy his house and made a huge profit I might add <_< Too bad I haven't been able to find a few like him every month! I'm willing to give it another try though, maybe the market has changed since I last marketed to landlords.