The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
IStealHouses

Just Starting Out

Alright I am finially ready to dedicate myself to RE Investing. I thought about it 8 months ago, and I saw the secret. It really opened my eyes up. Side Note: Anyone else seen that movie, and how has it affected your business?

Anyhow, I am in Murrieta California, with "The Protege Program" in hand (Peter Conti Resultsnow.com) It sounds great, but I dont understand how I will create a monthly cashflow when the real estate market is declining. Also, I cannot promise the seller more money at closing - so that means I am giving them less for the property AND cashing them out down the time.

Is anyone operating in California on this forum? If yes, I would LOVE it if you could share some insights with me on this LP system. How many properties do you cashflow in a year? How do you structure a deal as a win/win in a declining market like mine? I know its a buyers market right now - and I am really excited to get started. What challenges can I expect along the way? What type of skills will help me achieve success faster?

I am setting my goals and setting up a daily action plan. I am 21years old. I want to be able to quit my job in 2 years and be cashflowing 5-8k per month. I am willing to help someone in my area in exchange for some guidance and help along the way. Web Design is my trade.

I've haven't seen the WHOLE movie so maybe I missed the part about actually having to WORK. But the 30 minutes or so I saw is IMHO, 100% Pure Grade-A Bull. ACTION is the only thing that has ever or will ever lead to success in anything. Although technically thought preceeds action. All of "The Secret" that I saw focused entirely on some mystical force magically bringing you the things you want if you just think about them in the right way. That's total crap! YOU have go out there are MAKE things happen with your own two hands, or in this business, your ears and mouth.

[Doug dismounts his soapbox]

Now then regarding win/win transactions. What many newbies misunderstand about the win/win concept is that both sides rarely, if ever, both get what they want financially. A very typical real-world "win/win" would be where I get the terms I need while the seller gets rid of their headache (a vacant house for example). The seller may not get the price or terms they wanted, but they do get rid of the giant stone tied to their neck.

I've haven't seen the WHOLE movie so maybe I missed the part about actually having to WORK. But the 30 minutes or so I saw is IMHO, 100% Pure Grade-A Bull. ACTION is the only thing that has ever or will ever lead to success in anything. Although technically thought preceeds action. All of "The Secret" that I saw focused entirely on some mystical force magically bringing you the things you want if you just think about them in the right way. That's total crap! YOU have go out there are MAKE things happen with your own two hands, or in this business, your ears and mouth.

Ahh, Doug, what would my Saturday morning be without my 3D's*? B)

Actually, I'm quite the skeptic myself, although I know some folks here swear by this psycho babble stuff.

*Doug's Daily Dose. . . :rolleyes:

*Doug's Daily Dose. . .
LMAO :rolleyes:

"Early to bed, early to rise, work hard and advertise."

I don't see anything in there about sitting around fantasizing about what you want to have drop into your lap??? B)

And another one I like:

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."

Dear I Steal Houses,

I am right next door to you specializing in CAs; feel free to contact me. Our area is transitioning, meaning sellers and buyers each have wildly different opinions on where they think the housing market is. Sellers are swimming in red ink, negative cash flow and nine-month vacancies but still insist their property is worth $100,000 over current "sold" comps. I'm managing to get deals done, but last year was a walk in the park compared to this year.

The Secret is good if you're thinking about doing something and imagining how terrific it will be if you actually do it. Yum! Cash flow, however, comes from contacting sellers, making tons of offers, eating rejection, signing deals, marketing your property(s) and yanking tenant/buyers out of deals they were just about to sign before you found them. :rolleyes:

Higher highs and lower lows -- all in the same day, every day!

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC

Dear I Steal Houses,

I am right next door to you specializing in CAs; feel free to contact me. Our area is transitioning, meaning sellers and buyers each have wildly different opinions on where they think the housing market is. Sellers are swimming in red ink, negative cash flow and nine-month vacancies but still insist their property is worth $100,000 over current "sold" comps. I'm managing to get deals done, but last year was a walk in the park compared to this year.

The Secret is good if you're thinking about doing something and imagining how terrific it will be if you actually do it. Yum! Cash flow, however, comes from contacting sellers, making tons of offers, eating rejection, signing deals, marketing your property(s) and yanking tenant/buyers out of deals they were just about to sign before you found them. :rolleyes:

Higher highs and lower lows -- all in the same day, every day!

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC

Excellent reply, Dan-O! No longer the dreamy slacker of your youth, I sense. B)

And, yeah, your site is primo.

Excellent reply, Dan-O! No longer the dreamy slacker of your youth, I sense. B)

And, yeah, your site is primo.

You got that right. Slacker Dan has left the building! :rolleyes:

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC

Homeowners, Landlords, Investors: Sell your Southern California property in days without a realtor. Get immediate, dependable monthly cash flow, retain all ownership and tax advantages, and receive full market price at the end of the lease.
Dan, this is what caught my eye. Very nice concise explanation of the benefits.

I totally agree with Doug !

I bought the DVD without giving it any thought since there was so much hype about it.

I was utterly dissapointed to say the least.

Whats with the example of "if you really focus hard on getting a parking spot at the mall or the movie theatres, you will get it !!! The universe reaches out and gives it to you !!"

What if 10 more people focus on that 1 last parking spot? Will the universe then bias against all of them just for me ?? Why ?

As you said, it was BS.

Either these guys who made the DVD didnt understand the "law of attraction" properly or are just trying to make money by fooling people by misinterpreting it.

It is one thing to say that if you focus hard on something, say a viable & tangible goal like e.g. being successful in real estate by making a million dollars in the next 4 years or whatever, then the "law of attraction" makes you see, hear and analyze things that will be aligned with your goals.

Like minded people may get "attracted" towards you. Good opportunities and situations may get "attracted" towards you. Hey, fortune favors the brave. I agree with that.

It is one thing if law of attraction is explained in this way saying that your actions & channelized efforts will "attract" the things that you are focussing on.

But when they say all those random things about universe giving you all that you want by merely strong wishing etc, that is totally BS in my opinion.

There is no secret.

Just sit down and decide what you really want to achieve & then make a solid commitment to take ACTIONS that will take you nearer to that goal.

I know it is easier said than done and we all have daily distractions. I have them all the time and I am trying to work on those.

But, one thing I definitely know that I wont get anything just by wishing on things without taking action!! That part I am very very clear on.

- Rahul

Either these guys who made the DVD didnt understand the "law of attraction" properly or are just trying to make money by fooling people by misinterpreting it.
When in doubt, always look for the money angle.

The author of "The Secret" is simply telling people what they want to hear. I mean really, wouldn't it be great if all you had to do was sit in your recliner and think good thoughts to make your life the way you want? NOBODY wants to hear that it takes time, effort, and worst of all a massive amount of FAILURE to achieve success.

How many calls did we mess up before we got our first appointment with a seller? On how many appointments did we "just miss" signing, before we finally got our first deal?

The good news is that while success isn't magical, it isn't really that hard either. If you take massive action in the right direction and learn to pick yourself back up after a fall and keep pushing forward through the disappointment, then you are absolutely guaranteed to succeed sooner or later.

The universe might not give in to relentless thought, but it will give in to relentless action!