The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
<Steve>

Business License NOW Required

I am in a three city area and now one of these cities passed a city ordinance requiring landlords with rental property to have a business license and pay a new TAX! ;)

For the last few months the local city government has been pushing this, saying that all rental property must be inspected and pass a specific standard if a residence is used as a rental. And this inspection would have to be completed every 5 years. There was never a mention of a tax or fee. I saw this as totally ridiculous and an impossible task for the city government. They would need to hire a small army to inspect each rental property by this July '07. I knew that if this had to do with government, their angle is really to take more dollars out of our wallets to feed their inefficient machine.

So, last week I receive a letter from the city. It states that "All residential and commercial rental property owners are to obtain a business privilege license." No mention of any kind of inspection. :rolleyes: If your "gross" rental receipts are under $25K a year the owner is exempt from the tax but the license is still required. The tax starts at a minimum of $50. to $10K per year. Bastards.

Now this applies to property owners with rentals, so not being the owner while doing lease options I should be in the clear. None the less, I do own a few rentals to keep for tax reasons and will now be required to have a yearly business license and pay a new tax! :angry:

This is yet another example of being penalized for having a small business to feed an ever increasing government, even if this issue is just at a local city government. This ordinance has nothing to do with health-safety-welfare of the individual, and everything to do with the politicians squeezing more $$ for their what-evers.

Bastards!! That pretty much caps rent at $2,083.25 per month.

I sense security deposits, pet deposits and deposit deposits will soon be going through the roof :rolleyes:

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC

Man, that burns me up! :rolleyes: You hit the bullseye, Steve, when you said this is nothing more than the latest way the politicos figured out how to extract more money from the citizens they allegedly represent. Not much you can do, unfortunately. If you're the activist type, I suppose you can write a letter to the newspaper, vent a bit, and hope if gets published. And if you're really hellbent on retaliation, you can always run for office and defeat the empty suit who passed this legislation. You can count on my vote, Mr. Govenor. ;)

If I was in Boston I'd have a "Tea Party!"

Mr. Govenor.
Hmmmm. . .sounds pretty good MC. . .naaaa

I think I'll spend my afternoons under the cabana sipping a Corona while catching a phone call every now and then from those motivated sellers. :rolleyes:

If I was in Boston I'd have a "Tea Party!"

Mr. Govenor.
Hmmmm. . .sounds pretty good MC. . .naaaa

I think I'll spend my afternoons under the cabana sipping a Corona while catching a phone call every now and then from those motivated sellers. :rolleyes:

Steve,

Just curious, where are you located ?

- Rahul

Here is the latest with this city Landlord Tax Ordinance. Landlords are announcing that rents will increase 10% in addition to the yearly 3% to 4% for inflation because of the this new landlord tax. This has put many renters in an uproar. City official say they have no idea how much revenue this new tax will generate. The city officials have already increased property taxes greatly the last 2 years.

City officials do not know the number of rental properties and landlords in the city. So, they have come up with this rental inspection idea to require landlords to contact the city to inspect their properties. Inspect for what? They haven't said. Seems they are documenting who the landlords are and what properties are rentals so they can send out the new tax bill. Slick Willies. ;)

Because of the uproar from renters/tenants the city officials will be meeting next Tuesday to discuss this new and unjust tax.