The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
royemunson

Working w/ Realtors

Okay,

Realtors or anyone please help me on this one. Do most charge a fee to go out and look

at houses?

I have never heard this before and its been a while since we've used a realtor to buy houses

but that is what my realtor mentioned non-chilantly (excuse the spelling).

We not only do lease options, but also rehabs and such and as soon as i said we were

ready to move into that market and make offers he brought this up.

is it time to find a new one??

Thanks

Joe

I've heard of that from some Realtors who claim to be very successful (so successful that they can't be bothered to show you houses without being paid to do it). I guess I can't blame them, there's no way I would drive somebody around looking at all kinds of houses, and not get paid! I'll meet with a buyer at ONE house and they had better have their cash deposit in hand.

But, I would imagine you can find another Realtor who won't charge you, unless the whole area is trending that way.

I've heard of that from some Realtors who claim to be very successful (so successful that they can't be bothered to show you houses without being paid to do it). I guess I can't blame them, there's no way I would drive somebody around looking at all kinds of houses, and not get paid! I'll meet with a buyer at ONE house and they had better have their cash deposit in hand.

But, I would imagine you can find another Realtor who won't charge you, unless the whole area is trending that way.

I agree. I told him that anyones time is valuable, but spending hours to look at deals that may or may not

pan out is a waste of money to me.

He is pretty successful but I did his tax return last year and he's no 6 figure earner even if he cheated

a lot

If you're aiming to do L/Os, then you shouldn't be going out to look at a house anyway, unless the seller has already agreed more or less to the terms and you're going over there to sign the deal up. In that case he shouldn't be charging you to "look" at the house since he's about to get his commission!

Realtors or anyone please help me on this one. Do most charge a fee to go out and look at houses?
Heck, no! Unless I'm out of touch, ( I am, according to my 18 year old daughter), I have not seen this "trend" taking root in my area. That's a part of their job, like it or not. Just like we, as investors, need to qualify homeowners and tenants, the Agent needs to do the same with any prospective buyer. But charge me a buck to look at a house? Realtors are a dime a dozen. I'll employ another one, thank you.

Realtors or anyone please help me on this one. Do most charge a fee to go out and look at houses?
Heck, no! Unless I'm out of touch, ( I am, according to my 18 year old daughter), I have not seen this "trend" taking root in my area. That's a part of their job, like it or not. Just like we, as investors, need to qualify homeowners and tenants, the Agent needs to do the same with any prospective buyer. But charge me a buck to look at a house? Realtors are a dime a dozen. I'll employ another one, thank you.

That's what I thought. You know I thought that was part of their job and why they were paid commission

and why they got into the biz.

You know these aren't for l/o deals necessarily but i was just asking other real estate investors.

He has said a few things that has had me question him even though he invests himself.

its not a problem finding another realtor if i need one but just thought i'd ask

Joe

I'd tell him to pound sand. There are a million other Realtors just as good as him that can take me through a house, I don't need cheapskate Charlie to hold my hand.

Many (most?!) RE agents are not good business people. Many get into the business because they're good little networkers and it requires virtually NO education or qualifications of any kind. They know everybody and everybody knows them. In other words, they occasionally earn a commission for knowing everybody's business — something they would do for free anyway ;) Drive people around and gab all day — great!!

Then there's the hardcore professional agents who do make it a business and *everything* is about their bottom line....you won't find them gabbing away with anybody willy-nilly. Every conversation has a point and every action is leading to a sale. These guys absolutely charge you for "looking." The typical fee starts at $1500 and goes up depending on the buyer's needs. However, it's like OPTION money; if you buy a house you get a credit at closing; if you don't your money is nonrefundable.

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC

Dan, I'm not quite that tough but defintitely charge T/B's a $500 non-refundable deposit to view a house, it's credited 100% if they buy.

I'm just trying to figure out how I can successfully charge sellers for making me come out to look at their house and make an offer that they reject...

Dan, I'm not quite that tough but defintitely charge T/B's a $500 non-refundable deposit to view a house, it's credited 100% if they buy.

I'm just trying to figure out how I can successfully charge sellers for making me come out to look at their house and make an offer that they reject...

$500...you're my new hero. I'm pretty good with sellers; it's rare that I meet with them or see their house until I have an okay on price and terms. In about 30% of my deals, I *never* meet the seller face to face. T/Bs though...don't get me started! I'd love to charge 'em for looking. And I would. If I could find them! ;)

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC

In about 30% of my deals, I *never* meet the seller face to face.
Whoa! How does that work? Are you just email/faxing them the contracts to sign?

Considering the payments you're charging are about HALF what they would be around here I'm surprised you have any trouble at all finding T/Bs. What happens when one of your T/Bs cashes out? Aren't their payments going to go through the roof? They're renting the place for $1700-$1800 now and when they get a mortgage all of a sudden their payments go to $3000! OUCH!

In about 30% of my deals, I *never* meet the seller face to face.
Whoa! How does that work? Are you just email/faxing them the contracts to sign?

Out of town owners are excellent for this deal because they're....out of town. So all communication is by phone/email/fax/snail mail. I love those.

Considering the payments you're charging are about HALF what they would be around here I'm surprised you have any trouble at all finding T/Bs. What happens when one of your T/Bs cashes out? Aren't their payments going to go through the roof? They're renting the place for $1700-$1800 now and when they get a mortgage all of a sudden their payments go to $3000! OUCH!

I set my lease payments on the high side of fair market rent. When I've tried for higher than that, there is zero interaction with potential T/Bs. The trick is to find bonafide home buyers who see the low rent as a way to push closing out to 12-24 months and stockpile more money down. Where are these smart consumers? Maybe they're like the cicadas and only surface every few years. ;)

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC

Where are these smart consumers?
They're over here ;) I've got them by the boatload, it's the smart SELLERS that are hard to find in these parts.