The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
mamasanta25

credit application

Hello all, I hope you are all doing well. When checking on a lease application, what exactly do you search? I know I have to call on references and things of that nature, but as far as checking the ss number. Should I do it, and where at? This particular applicant is apparently self-employed and makes 10 grand per month. He gives me his past landlord's phone number from AZ, and his current landlord's number, which is the same number he gives me for his home phone number. He seems like a decent, honest guy, but ya never know. He wants the condo, but he says he doesn't know how he will fit all of his furniture in there. So, back to my question, what should I check out on the guy besides residence references? Thanks all.

Hello, Samantha! For starters, pull his credit report. The rental app you are using requires the applicant's signature. If you read the bottom of that App, s long as you have that you have the legal right to verify all information.

To find a credit reporting agency, and there are hundreds to choose from, you can check your local Yellow Pages, or do a search online. It shouldn't cost you but $15 or so.

In addition, perform whatever due diligence you deem necessary to feel as though this guy is legit.

The Rental App gives you all the info you should need to make an informed decision. In addition, don't underestimate the value of your "gut feel" in these matters.

Then, wrap it up and put this condo to sleep :blink: !! Keep me posted and let me know what else you need. I want this one more than you do!

thanks guys, one more thing. Should I wait until tomorrow when he is going to give me his "final decision", or should I spend the money and do it now?

Has he already paid you the non refundable application fee? What about any kind of deposit?

If not, certainly I would wait.

First off, I'd want a full commitment from him before I proceeded to screen him.

Hopefully you charged him for the application so it wont cost you?

Once he does commit, I'd check his credit, verify his employment (how to check his ss, you got me, but good idea!), and I'd check with his ex-landlords as well.

This should give you enough to go with, and of course he would need the cash upfront as well.

Good luck!

Nick