The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
swm8675309

Anybody here use the standard contracts in the manual in MI?

I have had a good number of customers from MI. And while I don't know what each individual does afterwards, I have not heard from anyone telling me that they ran into major difficulties with my paperwork. That said, it's never a bad idea to have your paperwork reviewed by a local, knowledgeable attorney.

MC's agreements are fine anywhere in the country. However, if you use them in MI you need to add a couple of clauses. One is a lead paint disclosure an two is the Truth in Renting Act disclosure. You can go to the mich.gov website to see these in action.

Regards,

Adam

MC's agreements are fine anywhere in the country. However, if you use them in MI you need to add a couple of clauses. One is a lead paint disclosure an two is the Truth in Renting Act disclosure. You can go to the mich.gov website to see these in action.

Regards,

Adam

Regards,

Adam

You told me to look at michigan.gov for info on the truth in lending act and I assume this is the line that I need to include:

NOTICE: Michigan law establishes rights and obligations for parties to rental agreements. This

agreement is required to comply with the Truth in Renting Act. If you have a question about the interpretation

or legality of a provision of this agreement, you may want to seek assistance from a lawyer or other qualified

person.”

History: 1978, Act 454, Eff. July 1, 1979.

I can certainly include that.

But looking through a manual provided by the city of Holland, where I intend to do my investing, it makes the the comment" According to the Truth in Lending Act #454, it is unlawful for leases or rental agreements to contain clauses or provisions which: Exempt landlords from their responsibility to keep their rental units in decent and safe repair."

Does this mean I can not make the tenant in a sandwich deal pay for maintaining the property? I have looked through the act and have not found something that specifically precludes making tenants responsible for repairs and such.

I remember the lead paint issue from when I sold my house and will follow up on that issue.

Thanks for the input.

The lead paint issue is something I am already familiar with but I thank you very much for reminding me.