The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
-Tony-

Off My Duff

Well, MC might move this over to marketing, or maybe not. Any who, I know everything I need to know to do a l/p (and it may even be correct) but I was suffering from Paralysis of Analysis. Well, 6 weeks ago I made some fliers and the sat in my van for 2 weeks then I said well I will put some up. I had to take my daughter out and teach her how to drive a stick anyway. So, due to the fact my tranny needs to be rebuilt now ( lol ). We got started later then I had hoped, we hit one shopping complex (maybe twenty fliers). Then I realized I had to pick my son up from work. Well at the time it was a good excuse “I THOUGHT”.

Funny thing is I got a call from those fliers. The lady said we where thinking of selling in the near future. When I called her she was all "no we are definitely selling NOW". She asked about my programs, I pitched here on a l/p. She said so we would still be on the title? “Yes” You can’t just pay cash? I explained that we would have to discount the price to pay cash… then that is when she said they just wanted to be done with it… Hmmm Tony is thinking SUB2. Then she started telling me it was worth this XXXk (15k more then she paid for it 2years ago). Sorry I can’t help you here is a good realtor (she is in my rei group), keep my number and maybe we could work something out if you can’t sell....

Well, goes to show I don’t know what a motivated seller sounds like yet, She sure did sound like it though…. P.S. looked up the house anyway built 1918 slate roof and 1300sf "NEXT"

Previous to the fliers I put an ad in a military weekly newspaper it was the “FAMILY NEEDS” ad. It ran for a week. Got a call from that, MC you remember that one (I think I posted it here), needless to say he was not motivated.

So, I got to thinking and realized hey one ad and 30 fliers 2 calls that is not to bad.

So, back to my story, the night before last my wife and daughter went with me and we put up 200 fliers (3 ½ hours). Last night my daughter and two of my son’s friends went with me. My daughter convinced the other 2 kids to go because she had a blast the night before (she doesn’t get out much). In 2 hours we put up about 320, my sons friend has about 30 in her car she likes to put them up at drive thru’s (she works at McKee Dee’s). My daughter is getting bold at it, their were a few people standing around the soda machines at this grocery store, she went over excused her self and started putting them up………

This may not seem much to some it was a big step for me. I am in the military and don’t want to be in the situation where I have to re-enlist when I finish this enlistment (I probably will because I am good at what I do and enjoy the Air Force) but, I want the freedom to say I don’t have too. I work 40-55 hrs a week 12hr shifts usually so getting out there isn’t always that easy

I will order some signs tonight when I am finished here. Hope they will be out by next weekend. I will print up another 600 fliers and at least 100 a week will be hung (told my wife she could put out 35, 3 times a week)

I will try to keep you updated so you can keep me honest.

LASTLEY My wife stopped at Hardee's today, buy golly two of my fliers were gone oh wait Tony put three there, yup you guessed it 2 people came buy without anything to right with so the took my fliers one more left hope it goes soon...

sorry this is so long just trying to make me responsible to someone besides myself....

Tony, you strike me as someone who is definitely not gullible. A street smart kind of guy. So, I know that you know when someone is trying to con you. And if I was to tell you "This stuff really works.", and it didn't, your BS detector would go off immediately. However, by now you know it does really work, but for that to happen you need to work. It boils down to you speaking with enough homeowners: either you call them from the FSBO ads, or they call you from your marketing, (which needs to be extreme). A lack of effort in either approach and you'll never get off the starting line. But, hey, you've been on this board long enough to know this already, and you don't need me to tell you. But I will tell you anyway, as a friend, that you have the tools at your disposal to succeed in this business. Please, put 'em to use.

I think a good first step was taken here, when you wrote:

I will try to keep you updated so you can keep me honest........sorry this is so long just trying to make me responsible to someone besides myself....
Indeed, keep us posted and share the trials and tribulations of your endeavors and efforts.

MC,

part of the problem was the fact that I have been in the same place 5 yrs. Which means I could get orders to move any time. I got the name of a l/p investor here and we may be able to work something out, but I will press on. We had an exercise (moc war game) a couple of weeks ago and I decide I hated the kevlar helmet. so if you ever have a video confrence and you see a guy in a helmet that is me......personal motivation

well got some more fliers out not as many as I wanted, but hey alot of my others are still out. Ordered my signs 100 but I will not flood the area maybe 15 - 20 out at a time. I saw someone with tuition signs they lasted 1 - 1/12 weeks (about 2 month ago and non since. dental signs for about 2 - 2 1/2 weeks now sad thing is mowers didn't weedeat around them but did leave them untouched.

I recieved 1 seller call (tirekicker).

One realtor no message, got to love my voice mail though it got thier number so I typed it in on google and poped up all the info. maybe I'll call her back and see what she can do for me.

third call was from a guy that put out fliers. The guy needs to work on his people skills, if your calling with a service to someone don't put them down. I had some teenagers help me with it free help.....hmmm am I going to complain if the sign isn't straight. Maybe he might be resonable I will call him back.

Well got my 100 bandit signs from witness, last Wed. I couldn't put them up until Fri. Low and behold someone else had the same idea.

First time in 5 yrs I've seen I buy houses signs and they put theirs up the day before me. Oh well, there are enough houses around here.

Well they have been up a week now only 2 are MIA well I figured that one would go it was on NASA PROPERTY and the second, well mabe I shouldn't have but the realtors office lawn looked so good with my I BUY HOUSES sign on it. He has lost more, I think because the were to close to the road

The other guy is just in one small area I spread mine out some. It looks like he just through them up. But hey I will be honest, it's probably because they aren't mine.

Don't forget the fliers. I put up 75 or so this week.....

To date fliers are working the best but have been out 2 weeks longer

Tony, I really do like your reporting here weekly and updating us as to what you've been doing and the results. I find it inspirational and I dare say anyone new to this business should, as well. It's refreshing to hear from someone "out there", in the real world, doing what it takes to find those deals, and reporting back to us about it. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thank you. I appreciate your sharing all this.

Hi, I'm new here and I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying your posts regarding recent deals or just about getting out there and trying. Very candid and a great inspiration. Congratulations on your successes!

Karen

Indeed, welcome aboard, Karen. Glad you joined us here! I also see you signed on for the September 16th teleconference, too. Looking forward to hearing from you there.

well the fliers strike again, I posted this I got the call from one of my fliershere's the deal

okay I am re thinking my bandit sign campaige. most of my calls are coming from astablished blue collar neighborhoods. What I originaly was going for with my Fliers. I figure these will 1) have more equity 2) have more chance of being effected by a slight monitary change 3) a bigger pool of t/b

I think it changed from the original plan because of the other guys signs. Male pride thing I guess. Let him have the pretty no equity houses. I will continue with the motivated blue collar instead of the tire kik'en yuppies :angry: . the only thing is trying to find places to put my signs.

Guest Guest

-Tony-,

When you say "fliers" are you delivering them to the doors and hope to get calls? Just wondering on your delivery method on these fliers.

Thanks in advance.

No, I just go tape them up all over. Well I try to think about where these people may go: k-mart, wally-world, big lots, grocery stores, cash advance places, thrift stores and places like that. but, I still target the home improvement stores.

although I am thinking of doing door hangers. this Gentleman called me (off a flier) and told me he owned a company that did direct marketing. Still debating on to call him his people skills lacked, he basicaly said they looked like crap and he could do better (actually just haven't bothered but if it makes me a buck or 2 maybe...). but when you have free teenage help, would you complain if they were cock-eyed, I think not. So, If I get the deal I think I might through them a Ben Franklin at least it will inspire them.

Any complaints by the stores themselves asking you to not do this any more? Do you look to see if the store has a board that allows people to place fliers or are you just taping them up in some obvious position?

Thanks....

Any complaints by the stores themselves asking you to not do this any more

No calls so far about talking them down or not doing it anymore. Usually I go out around mid night. Here is my trick I put them on the sides of the pillars so if you were walking on the sidewalk you could see them. the pillars in front of the store doors I put them so they can be seen when you come out. this serves i guess two purposes 1) when employees come in they don't see them and tear them down 2) if the person just spent money they didn't have BAM there is my flier. Now I am a little more comfortable putting them out so I do some during the day. I also plaster the parking lot i.e. light poles buggy returns handy capped parking sign (I would recommend not to cover them). every time I go through a drive thru it an opportunity to market slap up a flier....

the first time I went out I stoped by rite aid, man talk about flier nazi's. I had no more then 2 fliers up and they came running out, I just looked around and asked if there was a pay phone around :angry: they politely pointed it out as the read my flier. I of course made like I was using the phone as I put up a flier :D:( ....

Do you look to see if the store has a board that allows people to place fliers

No, but I know wally world (Wal-Mart) does.