The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
vballdarin

2 Questions for the forum concering CA's...

Generally speaking, I was wondering if, since tenant/buyers are having a harder time getting traditional financing, you've started giving them a longer lease period when doing a CA? It would seem that when signing up a seller on a CA, 24 months would/should offer more ability for the tenant/buyers to secure financing in these market conditions?

And 2...

I'm working on finding motivated sellers for CA's by sending out emails from the "For Rent" category of Craigslist. Since I'm sending out emails to areas i'm not too familiar with......Are there any ads that you generally steer away from (other than prop mgmt companies/brokers)? (ie....ones with uploaded pics versus no pics, or more detailed info on the house versus vague ads)

Thanks in advance.

I email everybody with a property that looks half-way like what I'm looking for, because you never know.

Darin,

Like Doug said, there's really no one that's not fair game when trying to do a CA IMO.

Even if the house is listed, if you can get in touch with the actual home owner, you can explain your intentions and more likely than not they'll give it a go; especially if it's a non-exclusive option. Whoever gets a tenant/buyer first wins!

I'm new to the game too! Let's make it a good 09'..

Darin, the longer the term you can offer a t/b, the more desirable and marketable the deal becomes. So if any homeowner is open to the idea, push for it. It can only help.

As for responsing to ads, unless I know for certain it is someone I don't want to deal with, I'm responding to the ad. If it turns out it is a Realtor I will usually just delete their reply. I'm not anti-Agent, but they just have a tendency to get in the way of what I am trying to do.

For what it's worth, if a property is listed and I unknowingly contact the homeowner, I won't work with them unless they cancel their listing. There's no shortage of deals these days that come without that kind of baggage.

Thanks guys. I guess the law of averages applies. More emails sent out = more possibilities of a quality response.

MC....I hear ya about ads of unknowingly listed houses. If the homeowner replies and says it's listed, i've simply been telling them, "At this time, we are interested in dealing directly with the homeowner of unlisted properties. If, in the future...etc, etc..."

Guest Diver

Darin, As far as the first paragraph on the original post I couldn't agree with you more. When I send to FRBO's on craigslist if ever I have given it up. It used to be a great sourse in my area but has been all but taken over by Realtors and Rental companys. Diver

Generally speaking, I was wondering if, since tenant/buyers are having a harder time getting traditional financing, you've started giving them a longer lease period when doing a CA? It would seem that when signing up a seller on a CA, 24 months would/should offer more ability for the tenant/buyers to secure financing in these market conditions?
Yes! That is all I am hearing. T/Bs know the uncertainty of the economy and after putting down option consideration and work through the year to purchase the property, and then can't buy because of some force in the economy. T/Bs want to able to extend the lease if needed. I just sent out emails to those CAs I have telling the sellers just this and they have been in favor so far.