The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
nsu1997

Following Up With Sellers

I'm sure most of us prospect for lease option deals by emailing or calling on FSBO ads, and I'd presume most of us use Craigslist or other FSBO sites. Does anyone utilize a follow-up system to stay in front of the sellers who are in the "motivated-but-not-yet-ready" category?

Here's what I do to track and follow up with any sellers who have expressed some level of interest but have not jumped completely on board. I created a Microsoft Word file and called it "online deals searches." If I get any type of a response from a seller, I paste the entire listing advertisement into the Word file, pictures and all. Underneath each listing I maintain an activity log in red font for each individual prospect. Periodically I will go back through the prospects from top to bottom and follow-up with any and all deals that need follow-up, and update the activity log accordingly. My typical follow-up message is something along the lines of, "hey, just following up -- has the house sold?" or "have you had any offers yet?"

I have always heard that most buying and selling decisions occur between the 2nd and the 7th contact with a prospect. But I'd be willing to guess that 95% of real estate investors may go two step out max, if that. The way I see it, they're missing out on the majority of their potential business by simply not following up properly.

I'm pretty sure you're right about the two steps follow up. At least in my case, that is. I think because of the way the market is these days it has become too easy to blow off anyone who isn't highly motivated from the get-go and just move on. Of course, as the market changes so will my attitude, I hope.

But your system is a good one for anyone to copy. Thanks for sharing.