The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Lydia

My marketing expenses

I am in Nashville, TN, and about a mile from my house is a guy with a home business called Signworks. I think his web site is www.signs-nash.com

I spent just under $170 and got 2 big, beautiful car signs (I didn't know there was a risk of them "blowing off on the freeway"), 2 screen printed T-shirts (I think I'll look for a collared Polo-type for the next ones I get), Lots of lettering for my back window--and he put it on for me!, 100 magnetic business card, 100 "Thermoplast" ( I think he called them) signs that were smaller than the average "bandit signs", but effective--I saw his offering magnetic car signs for $35 a pair--so , they worked on me! Glad I didn't have to pay shipping!

I got a hammer type stapler, and bashed my thumb! I prefer a heavy-duty staple gun. The hammer type went back to Home Depot!

I am glad to hear Option 8 takes her kid on her meetings. How old? I have a 6 and an almost 5. I pretty much take them everywhere I go.

I haven't done my first deal, yet!

I also bought 2 ads in Thrifty Nickel--one under Real Estate, and the other in Financial (as suggested by Dwan Twyford?) They are to run 3 weeks.

I am also knocking on doors, passing out fliers, and making phone calls.

I sure hope I get a payoff soon!

I love this site--it is quite inspirational!

Lydia

Welcome to the board, Lydia.

Congratulations on getting started in your marketing. Remember that successful marketing doesn't have to be expensive. Until you get a couple of deals under your belt, you can afford to be really "cheap" with your marketing efforts.

You are off to a great start with the car signs...Does your auto insurance go up with the advertising?

Additionally, when you get your first deals...people will really know what you do and you will be pointed to other deals because everyone knows someone who needs to sell a home. (My partner signed up a home yesterday and this couple knew of 3 others in their situation---the signing meeting ended with them going off to get these lead's contact info.

My son is an extremely active 2 1/2 years old! You are fortunate to have 2 ---they can help entertain each other! It's no joke that my son breaks the ice and wins people over! (Because: All else being equal, we buy from our friends and my baby is "Chief Friend-Maker")

Great job on getting out there while the weather is nice. I haven't had the time to knock on doors yet. Keep us posted on your results.

option8

Hello, Lydia, and welcome to The Naked Investor. We're glad you've joined us and we'll do our best to keep inspiring you!

Option8 is correct: marketing need not be expensive, and shouldn't be when you are first beginning. I always tell my students they must market aggressively, but they must do so within their budget. It does you no good to go broke before you find a deal.

You're on the right track from what I read with your early marketing efforts. Diversify your marketing, and keep careful track of the results. You need to know what is giving you the best return for your dollars and time. And, keep in mind it is impossible to make any assessment of your marketing in one month's time. It will more than likely take two or three, even four months of consistent marketing to begin to reap the rewards of your work. Many homeowners will need to see your signs, ads, flyers and business cards three times before they are prompted to pick up the phone and call you. So, do not fall prey to the common novice mistake of putting out three dozen flyers and bandit signs and, after one month of only a few tire kicker calls and no deals, proclaim, "This doesn't work!", and then up and quit on yourself. Apply yourself diligently, I'd say two hours a day for a beginner is not unreasonable, and you will hear from homeowners with a need you can fill. Lo and behold, you'll be onto your first deal! Again, though, it does require time and effort.

Speaking of rug rats, I have two daughters. One is 15 :wacko: (ugh), and the other is 5 :lol: (not yet ugh). When the older one was in the 7 to 11 age group I would often bring her along. I quickly found her to be a great asset. Homeowners seemed to love to have a "little one" in their midst. If they were older, grandparents types, out would come the cookies and milk, of which I readily partook. If they were younger parents and had a rat or two of their own, my lil' rodent was quickly rolling around on the floor with 'em. Either way, a child as a tool proved to me to be a very good thing. Of course, now at 15, with a bad attitude, big mouth and small brain, I wouldn't dare bring her with me. Then again, there isn't enough Justin Timberlake posters in the world to make her want to be seen in public with her old fool father.

Now, I'm riding the coattails of my younger one. Same thing: it leads to a warm reception and paves the way for a friendlier, more comfortable meeting with homeowners.

Guest Guest_Lydia

Did my car insurance go up?...... Good grief, that is one problem I hadn't thought or, or picked up from someone else. Well, I guess I'd better check. Did anyone elses go up?

You're brave to take a 2 1/2 year old! My kids do entertain each other somewhat (depends on the environment) and when McDonald's had the little SEGA video games, I got them all, and try to keep them with me always. I also bribe with candy or gum. I think eventually they will get a lot out of seeing me drum up business and work out deals.

Lydia

Hi Lydia,

On behalf of myself, welcome to Naked Investor!

Yes, we are quite the inspirational group lead by our inspirational leader the one and only Mr. Michael C.

Hmm....I have an idea. Maybe you could assist an owner in selling their property. Ask them what their price is, tack on your fee's/profit and then advertise it in the newspaper for them (you pay for the ad) as a courtesy.

I've done that here for some sellers.

My ads run like this:

Motivated Seller! SE Portland, 3/1, 970 sf, possible 100% financing available. (360) 909-3374.

Some general rules:

1) Dont mention your name

2) Dont mention the price

3) Do mention "possible 100% financing"

4) Use catchy phrases like "Motivated seller" or "Must Sell" etc.

I've ran three ads like this in the past two weeks and have gotten 76 phone calls from them.

As a loan officer, I can provide the financing. If you need help with this then just refer the buyers to me or you can contact me and I can do a loan application on them. You can make money and I'll make mine writing up the loan.

If this is something that might be of interest to you, feel free to contact me at:

andikeda@netscape.net or call me: 1-888-889-1640 ext 231 @ US Funding Group, Inc. I'm willing to take on anything in the continental 48 states.

Thanks and good luck with your marketing! Wishing you the best...

Andrew

Now, to "help a homeowner sell"--This sounds like what Ron LeGrand covers in "Options"-says to do this without an agent, you need to do an "Option to Purchase" agreement which will give you beneficial (?) interest in the property, so you can "sell" it to the end buyer, and make as your profit the difference between the lowest amount your seller will accept, and the highest amount your buyer will pay.

Thanks for the warm welcome-

Lydia

I'm willing to take on anything in the continental 48 states.
Darn! I have this cute quonset hut in Fairbanks I'm trying to sell............

Lydia,

You understood correctly. Then when you find a buyer go ahead and do the lease purchase deal. After that is settled, you could find a loan officer to get financing for the t/b and cash out the owner and yourself (backend).

Or, you could do as Ron LeGrand says, and if the seller insists on cash, then assist a potential buyer get cash for the deal. There are a ton of 100% one loan deals for people with credit scores as low as 560. The buyer then gets the financing, cashes you out and you walk away from the deal and get your $.

Just a thought.....

Andrew

P.S. Michael, tell me more about that quonset hut in Fairbanks! :wacko:

Lydia I tried to go to the web site and it did not work. The one for the car signs. I am looking for some. So far they were like 74 and 85 a pair. Will you please get the web site from the person you purchase your car signs from a post here.

MichaelR :wacko: