The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Doug Pretorius (ON)

Please critique this offer cover letter

Ms Smith,

It was a pleasure talking to you yesterday and we have taken a long hard look at your property on [address]. It looks pretty good, and yes, we're interested. We think it's got real potential and believe it would probably work out well for us. We're looking to take on something like this right now, and you'll find our offer attached to this email.

We've done our homework on the current rental market and have determined that we can give you a monthly cheque of precisely [rent]. We guarantee in our offer to pay our rent to you even if our tenant/buyer doesn't pay us. We also guarantee to take care of the day-to-day maintenance and repairs up to $200.

Over the proposed 36 month period of our agreement you will collect a total of [rent + offer price - credits] which, if we're not mistaken, is actually more than your asking price, and far more than if you sold your property through an agent. On that note we are not real estate agents and we charge you no commissions or fees of any kind so you don't have to worry about any deductions at closing.

We would be interested in taking possession of the property on or before [Possession Date] and we can begin marketing it to our tenant/buyers immediately.

I look forward to meeting you at your property to confirm that it's exactly what we're looking for and to get our agreement finalized. If you would like to arrange a time that's convenient for you or even if you just have a question or two about our offer please get in touch with me: Doug @ 519-572-3585

Sincerely,

Doug Pretorius & Associates

Doug,

How did you acquire this seller? Postcard (if yes, can you show an example), or other means?

Erik

We found them by calling FSBOs with the magic script, Erik.

Got an example of 'magic script'. Couldn't find on forum posts...

It's totally top secret sauce. Just a few questions and every seller begs us to LP their house. We couldn't even get through 1 page of ads on one fsbo site before we had to stop because we had so many offers to send out. Incredibly powerful stuff, a life-changing experience, no doubt about it.

It's totally top secret sauce. Just a few questions and every seller begs us to LP their house. We couldn't even get through 1 page of ads on one fsbo site before we had to stop because we had so many offers to send out. Incredibly powerful stuff, a life-changing experience, no doubt about it.

So I guess that's a "No"? :rolleyes:

LOL I'm just teasing you, Erik :rolleyes: There is no secret. We just called, told them we're investors, and asked whether or not they're open to renting their houses for a year or two until our tenants can get a mortgage to buy it out. Nothing special.

LOL I'm just teasing you, Erik :rolleyes: There is no secret. We just called, told them we're investors, and asked whether or not they're open to renting their houses for a year or two until our tenants can get a mortgage to buy it out. Nothing special.

Haha classic, thanks

Doug, it's so good I'm mailing you my keys today! :P

Seriously, I think it's clear enough that the average Canadian homeowner can see the benefits. Homeowners, I might add, who have frequrently been disparaged by the board's Resident Curmudgeon. . .whoever that may be. Who are you and what have you done with Doug Pretorius??

PS: quit tormenting fellow board members with your secret formulas and decoder rings.

PS: quit tormenting fellow board members with your secret formulas and decoder rings.
What about the secret handshake?

Dammit, Doug! It's called secret for a reason! :P

We just called, told them we're investors, and asked whether or not they're open to renting their houses for a year or two until our tenants can get a mortgage to buy it out. Nothing special.

Doug,

Have you tried using that wordage in emails to CraigList ads for FSBO and FRBO?

How about on a post card?

Lynn (FL)

Lynn, there just aren't enough FSBOs and FRBOs to email, besides we get a much better response from calling them anyway. Postcards, blah, I don't want to spend money on something I can do for free. Call me cheap :P

I know nobody likes cold calling, myself included, but it works.