The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
GerryGA

Furnished house

It depends upon what they want for the furnishings.

What are they asking for them? Are they nice or garbage?

option8

I have not seen the furniture yet. He is asking 169k for the house and furniture. I ran the comps, looks like the house may be worth 155-160.

The first mortgage is assumable (no qualifying) 66K @8%. Payments are $900/mo PITI.

So, how should I handle this? What kind of deal should I work for?

Wants action in 18 hours.

Gerry

Gerry,

I guess you need to see the furniture before you can make a reasonable offer.

What is your approach with this guy? Sandwich, CA, straigh option...?

Gerry, one thing at a time.

The furnishings are worthless to most buyers. Most people purchasing a property either have their own furnishings, or are planning on buying some. Not too many fokks want to buy the seller's stuff, unless it is something special and unique. If the seller wants to throw it all into the deal, at no cost, that may work. If the buyers don't want any of it, you can always have a garage sale and pocket the cash. On the other hand, if the seller is trying to tie the furnishings into the sale, and tacking on a few thousand in the process, tell him its a no go. All that does is muddy the waters, kind of like when you try and trade in a used vehicle when you go to buy a car at some dealership. There are numbers being thrown all about and you don't know what you're getting for your trade in and what you're paying for your new car.

So, how should I handle this? What kind of deal should I work for?
What does the seller want to do? What do you want to do?