The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
nck-mail

Need some encouragement

After getting all the good news about having a baby girl on the way, I jumped back into calling FSBO's & FRBO's. And this week has been a bomb. Everything's either sold/under contract, # disconnected, or not interested in anything I have to offer. I've been averaging about 20 calls a day (that's all Ethan allows me) and I'm getting through to most people (I call in the afternoon-evening), and people are nice enough to call me back when I do leave messages. Now, I do have some that I need to follow up with (left messages and they didn't return my call). Plan to do that tomorrow (Saturday).

I gotta admit: this is getting old. Not even a hint of interest. I feel like I'm barking up a brick wall. I mean, if I were barking up a tree, at least the tree is living!

What are some other marketing methods (*cheap*) to find "motivated" sellers? If everyone's house is already sold, then I like the free method I'm using, but it's frustrating and there's no money coming in!

Thanks for help and inspiration.

-Naomi

That pretty much matches my experiences, although I did get a little bit of interest in the concept, when sellers find out that the mortgage will remain in their name, it's 'Goodbye Charlie'. It doesn't matter that they're going to make tens of thousands more, or that their problem will be solved, they don't care. If it's not a cash sale they don't want it, no matter how desperate their situation is. In fact, I've had 2 people choose to go into foreclosure rather than work with me! I guess it was just too much hassle.

If you want my advice, I think you have two choices: 1) Buy conventionally (with a partner or whatever) or 2) Do pure options and sell them as: "All the benefits of a private sale, without the hassle."

Now you asked about marketing. The cheapest marketing I can think of (short of free) is to print 'signs'/'flyers' on your computer and staple them to poles or tape them to any flat surface you can find. Believe it or not people read them from their cars, even though they're like 1/4 the size of most bandit signs!

"We Buy Houses" works, but you could also try something like: "Sell Your House Free"

Whatever you use, keep it short, and try to get an easy to remember phone number.

-Naomi ,

I can be encouraging to you.

this is getting old. Not even a hint of interest. I feel like I'm barking up a brick wall.

You see, I have been there, done that, have the t-shirt AND Michael will confirm I've cried the exact same lament to him! Some weeks you can't steal a deal and other weeks the phone won't stop ringing. Just be consistent with your dials and try to implement 4-5 other sources of leads...

Other free and inexpensive ideas:

Email FSBOs, mail to stale and expired listings, tell everyone breathing what you do, stop a UPS driver or utility employee and give them an Earn Extra Cash Postcard, cultivate other birddogs, ask for referrals, network with a few professionals who know folks in trouble, put signs on your car, run an ad in the newspaper for sellers, etc.

Keep your chin up and your fingers on the dial pad. Another one will turn up.

option8

Naomi,

I understand your situation completely. Making cold calls pretty much blows in the first place, but when there's no fruit for your efforts, that makes it even worse.

Here's something that's working extremely well for the effort...Door Hangers.

I purchased a box full of colored door hanger templates online HERE and I print them off at home. I keep a ton in my car and when I see a FSBO/FRBO, I swing by and put one on the mail box or front door. So far the call rate is about one call for every 10 door hangers....that's not bad; and these are the good calls...the ones that come to you because the owners are fairly motivated already.

Like Option8 said, diversify your efforts and things will start hopping.

By the way, when I started, it was a good three months of making about 20 calls a day before I got someone on the line.

Keep it up and when it does happen it will be worth all the effort.

Naomi, I can't say anything better than has already been said by Option8 and Mr. Saint. Persistence gets it done. And, yes, it's easier when homeowners are calling you. But, if your budget does not now allow for an elaborate marketing campaign, go with what you can afford and following Option8's ideas.

You'll be fine and you'll get a deal, also, as long as you don't quit on yourself!

-Naomi,

Here's what this particular Saturday in my office looks like after developing a few low cost lead sources:

1 conversation with a renter

5 seller leads put into my website by a birddog

5 conversations with new buyers from my ad---one led to an additional TB referral

1 additional TB lead from the above

4 TB packages sent out

I still have to call about 30 sellers, mail to 15 others, call 5 on my TBs about another house I have available. I won't get everything done, but it has been a productive week. Hang in there...

option8

Naomi,

All these people are crazy L/P don't work in Hampton roads. You can't do it people won't let you. Your wasting your time.

Hold on!!!

Wait, I just signed a L/P in Hampton Va this morning. IT IS POSSIBLE. I might have to do a little work to it (MC probably wouldn't and make 25-30k total on it) but I like stuff like that.

What type of areas are you marketing for (PRETTY HOUSES)? Good luck finding those but I do have one on l/p so it is possible. I go for mean to just under mean income houses. With lending as lax as it is these people are upgrading and are to lazy to fix the house up to sell (we don't need to do that)

Keep pledging at it they will come it took me 4-5 month to get my first deal. But if you want to do as doug suggested, I know realtors that can help you out. if your score is half way decent. No money down deals are possible with her she works WITH/FOR investors.

PM me if your interested