The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
murphy

Deadbeats skipped out

My tenants just signed a new lease in July and promptly skipped out. I have almost $1000 in damages plus unpaid August rent as well as the remaining 11 months of the lease. Their deposits covered $950 which they won't get back, but is it worthwhile to go after them for anything else or just be happy they left without destroying the place?

almost $1000 in damages ...Their deposits covered $950 which they won't get back

Be happy the damage is covered...get out there and find you another tenant, or tenant/buyer which equals option money.

Just my 2 cents,

Kim

Bad tenants are a reality in this business. It happens to all of us. However, if these folks were in your property only one month before going south on you, something obvious must have been overlooked on your part. Looking back on the screening process, what do you think?

In the meantime, as Kim said, mitigate your losses by hustling yourself up another tenant or, better still, tenant/buyer.

Agreed-

Advertise "Rent to Own" to a tenant/buyer and you can double your deposit or more and don't have to give it back at all. It works!

<S>