The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
JerseyJeff

Leaving Voicemail Stating I'm Not A Realtor

When I'm calling owners, the #1 question I get 2 seconds into the call is, "Are you a realtor?"

Based on this, I'm assuming a lot of people have this same question when listening to the voicemails I leave. More often than not, they say to themselves, "this guy sounds like a realtor, so he must be, let's delete his voicemail."

Should I add the fact that I am not a realtor to my VM message? Right now all I am saying is I saw their ad in the paper and was wondering if they'd be interested in selling their home as a lease purchase; my name/number.

If you think it is a good idea, is there a softer way to say it other than, PS, I'm not a realtor?

Thanks,

Jeff

The thread answered my question about FRBO's, but not about whether or not I should leave the fact that I am not a realtor on the message for FSBO's.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff, I've got to ask: What are the first words out of your mouth that are making people think you're a realtor?

Here's another possible solution: Call listed sellers. They don't get calls from realtors because it's against the realtor code of ethics to solicit other realtor's listings. Those sellers will also be way more into the "no commission" aspect of L/Os. I don't know if you've noticed but FSBOs usually say: "I'm not paying commission as it is."

Jeff, I've got to ask: What are the first words out of your mouth that are making people think you're a realtor?

Hi, I'm calling about the ad I saw in the paper on your home for sale. Is that home still available?

Yes. (Are you a realtor?)

Sometimes I get the second line out:

Are you the homeowner?

Yes. (Are you a realtor?)

This doesn't happen every time, but it does happen enough...enough for me to take notice.

Here's another possible solution: Call listed sellers. They don't get calls from realtors because it's against the realtor code of ethics to solicit other realtor's listings.

When I get up and running, I plan to market to these sellers as well, but for now I'm just cold-calling.

Those sellers will also be way more into the "no commission" aspect of L/Os. I don't know if you've noticed but FSBOs usually say: "I'm not paying commission as it is."

Yeah, I've noticed. It's hard to sell the point if you went with a realtor, they would charge 6% when they are trying to FSBO.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff, when I'm asked if I'm a Realtor, I tell them, "No, I'm not". Then I move the conversation on. If they persist along this line, I explain I own a company that specializes in Lease Purchasing. That usually suffices enough so we can continue and during the course of our conversation I can answer their questions and make my points.

Yeah, I've noticed. It's hard to sell the point if you went with a realtor, they would charge 6% when they are trying to FSBO.
At first. But, the statistics claim that about 85% of all FSBO's fail, and ultimately end up using a Realtor. Which means follow up calls are vital to landing these homeowners before they list.

Jeff, when I'm asked if I'm a Realtor, I tell them, "No, I'm not". Then I move the conversation on. If they persist along this line, I explain I own a company that specializes in Lease Purchasing.

Michael,

This is what I do. My question was regarding when I don't reach the owner, and I have to leave a message. Being I get questioned often if I am a realtor when I do speak with an owner, should I include the fact that I'm not a realtor in the messages I leave? (Check the original question for more details)

Thanks,

Jeff

OK, after your stern rebuke for my poor reading abilities, ( :( ), I will try again to answer your question. I think it best to leave a message that is to the point, without unnecessary details. "Hi, this is Jeff. I saw your ad and had some questions about the house you have for sale, (or for rent). My number is ...."

If they are serious and sane to any degree, a phone call should be forthcoming. Then you can get into the meat and potatoes.

I think it best to leave a message that is to the point, without unnecessary details. "Hi, this is Jeff. I saw your ad and had some questions about the house you have for sale, (or for rent). My number is ...."

If they are serious and sane to any degree, a phone call should be forthcoming. Then you can get into the meat and potatoes.

We've discussed before that the point of the voicemail is to weed out unmotivated/uninterested sellers and I thought that meant we should mention Lease Purchase or Rent to Own in the message. If all I say is I'm calling about your home, this isn't going to weed anyone out (except sold/in contract), and I'm going to get callbacks from them all.

Confused. :wacko:

Jeff

PS

OK, after your stern rebuke for my poor reading abilities, (  ), I will try again to answer your question.

The rebuke wasn't meant to be stern at all. :(

The responses to the thread weren't answering my specific question so I thought I'd restate it.

Don't be confused, Jeff. There is no one way to do things. It's always trial and error. What works for someone in their area, may be a total flop for you in your's.

In your case, your original question implies that you think or suspect that your standard message is being deleted by homeowners who assume you are a Realtor. Hard to say just how accurate that is. Nevertheless, if this is a concern of your's, then I think a switch to a more generic type of message might be a better fit. That's all I'm suggesting. Try different things, chart your results, and post back here about what is and isn't working.

OK, after your stern rebuke for my poor reading abilities, ( :P ), I will try again to answer your question.
:(:wacko: (I think is time for your nap, Admin)

More often than not, they say to themselves, "this guy sounds like a realtor, so he must be, let's delete his voicemail."

OK, Jeff....here comes the voice of experience. Or, at least the voice of radio. :(

My background is radio. I also have an entertainment company and do a lot of public speaking and MC (Master of Ceremonies) work. I have always felt the need to be very polished in my speech.

Well, I am here to tell you - that's NOT the normal way the average Joe speaks. A Realtor has a "schpeel" that they practice and rehearse until they are blue in the face. They sound scripted and my guess is that YOU DO TOO.

Ease up a little. Stutter and stammer on the phone. Sound very un-easy AS MOST BUYERS DO, and your problems will be over. The more timid and unsure of yourself you sound, the more you are going to sound like a real "live" buyer and less like a Realtor.

Give it a try. It worked for me. I can now switch into "geek" :wacko: mode very easily when I have to speak with sellers.

Let us know how it works for you.

Regards,