The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Doug Pretorius (ON)

Your Approach to Sellers

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been using "consultant" for a few months now. In my area, Realtors don't enjoy much prestige. I initially used "investor" but that seemed to scare people. They think investors are out to screw them over, I guess.

I'm not a realtor, nor do I manage properties.

I also don't plunk large amounts of cash down to purchase properties. So mark "investor" off.

I like to think I put deals together, assign contracts, and move on to the next deal.

Seeing "dealmaker" isn't on there, I voted "consultant".

I'll even use the word "consultant" during conversations, as it gives the impression

that I'm working with sellers/landlords, not against them...all the while, providing

information (for a price, of course). Has a better ring and is more welcome than "investor", in my opinion,

as it best fits what I do.

Here is my reasoning of not using the word consultant.

1st it makes you out to have some type of license that you do not have.

Some states acting like a consultant can hang you!

I have know problem with using words what I am. It is up front.

People like plain talk. No hidden agenda.

Just my opinion.

Here is my reasoning of not using the word consultant.

1st it makes you out to have some type of license that you do not have.

Some states acting like a consultant can hang you!

Last time I checked, there wasn't any type of consulting licenses to obtain.

A business license, maybe...but not a specified license just to consult.

If using the word "consultant" makes me out to needing some type of license, then all the

better. It just shows that I'm a real business that pays my taxes. And if you own and operate

a real business, then you should have this regardless.

Just qualified knowledge, an agreement, and following through on what's promised is all

that's really needed (and perhaps, the aforementioned business license).

People like plain talk. No hidden agenda.

Living in Alabama, I can't disagree. I have nothing to hide. However, are you not consulting

with folks with their real estate-related problems? ;)

The more "professional" words used, from my experience, the less favorable/interested responses are followed.

Then again, I'll use "consultant" when I deem it's necessary, which isn't too often. Even though that's what I'm

doing, there's no need to actually say the word. It's more of the approach, if anything.

I wanted to go with a half vote each for Property Manager and Consultant. But this crappy board doesn't allow me to.

I try not to pigeon hole myself with a title. I go with the flow of the conversation and try and match the homeowners personality and preferences.

Guest jvmccall

I try to tailor (sp?) my message to the seller. Though most times, I just say I am an "investor". If they are really motivated, it doesn't matter. And that is all I want to talk to - the really motivated.

Try them all and see what works best for you. What are you most comfortable with?

;)

I try anything from: Consultant, Expert, Professional, Adviser, (did I spell that right?), and even Negotiator ;)

But never use: Investor, property management or agent.

BEV!

You know, the funny thing is...with buyers I'm just Doug. I've only ever been asked once what my role was in the transaction and I just said: "Oh I'm the manager." and that was it. But with sellers it always comes up usually with these objections:

Property Manager: "Why don't I just do it myself and not pay you?"

Consultant: "Why don't I just do it myself and not pay you?"

Investor: "What kind of investor are you if you don't buy houses cash?"

Buyer: "What do you mean you're not going to be the one living in the house?"

We are a residential real estate company that specialize in lease purchasing. We are not real estate brokers or agents...

that's it.