The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jlspartz

Craigslist - real owners

Right now I'm using Search Tempest and have been thinking of a way to weed out investor ads posting as owners. Some are obvious because of formatting or websites listed, but some are not. I have so far found that one good way is to search their phone number to see if there's any other places listed using that phone number. Seems to work well, but is one at a time. Has anyone else come up with a way to weed out ads quicker?

Right now I'm using Search Tempest and have been thinking of a way to weed out investor ads posting as owners. Some are obvious because of formatting or websites listed, but some are not. I have so far found that one good way is to search their phone number to see if there's any other places listed using that phone number. Seems to work well, but is one at a time. Has anyone else come up with a way to weed out ads quicker?

I personally wouldn't waste the time and try and weed out the investor ads. The other day I was doing my daily emailings and some how emailed the president of my local investors association, he invited me to give a presentation to the other investors about lease options. I politely declined his offer and moved on! The only thing I do when emailing is make sure they are NOT realtors, property managment co, duplexes or apartments. I do this by scanning the ad real quick, and if I accidently email a realtor or anyone else I apoligize and move on.

Well, after I bypass all the agent ads (by clicking Owner), I'll then go through the ads that seem like they're from a FSBO.

After looking at quite a bit of ads, you kinda get an "eye" for weeding them out.

The less professional (typos, few pictures, no links to other sites, etc.) are a good clue that it's a regular house seller, and not an investor.

If it's from a scam artist...well, that's a different topic. These are easily spotted as well. Slapping a picture up of a $200,000 home and saying

it's in an area where I know nothing is over $80,000 raises a red flag with me. This is one of many ways to determine if it's

a scam artist. Copy & pasting their phone number into Google will also let you know if they have other properties listed online.

If they do, then this is a good indicator that they may be an investor, property manager, and/or an agent.

My take may be a little different. I've had great success with investors. I contacted an investor through the newspaper about a year and a half ago. We did that one deal and he's supplied me with 3 other properties since that first one. He did negotiate a bit on him keeping a deposit, so I just give him a flat fee of $1,000 and the rest I keep. All the properties that I sold the tenants only had $3,000, so I netted $2K not bad for repeat business!

Sign in to follow this