The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Doug Pretorius (ON)

We buy houses signs

I should be signing up a house next week on a fairly busy street and it got me thinking about finally testing out a marketing idea I've toyed with for ages. Namely, keeping a permanent "we buy houses" type sign in the yard. The sign will have a unique number for tracking purposes and that's exactly how I'm going to pitch it to my T/B: "Keep this sign in your yard and I'll pay you $X for every house I buy from it." I'm also going to throw in a bonus rent credit as a thank you.

My question is, to anyone who has done this or uses bandit signs for buying in general. Which do you find more effective preprinted or handwritten signs? I know for selling handwritten is the way to go. But it's been so long since I used signs for buying, I have no idea...and I don't think I ever tested handwritten anyway.

I've always heard handwritten to sell, printed to buy. Not a bad idea at all, having it stay in the front yard. I'm curious to hear what sort of long-term results you get!

If it's gonna stay there for a while, what about getting something more than just a plastic bandit sign?

Yeah I'll test it out with plastic and if it yields results I'll get my uncle (sign-writer) to make one out of steel or whatever they make permanent signs out of these days :)

I should be signing up a house next week on a fairly busy street and it got me thinking about finally testing out a marketing idea I've toyed with for ages. Namely, keeping a permanent "we buy houses" type sign in the yard. The sign will have a unique number for tracking purposes and that's exactly how I'm going to pitch it to my T/B: "Keep this sign in your yard and I'll pay you $X for every house I buy from it." I'm also going to throw in a bonus rent credit as a thank you.

My question is, to anyone who has done this or uses bandit signs for buying in general. Which do you find more effective preprinted or handwritten signs? I know for selling handwritten is the way to go. But it's been so long since I used signs for buying, I have no idea...and I don't think I ever tested handwritten anyway.

Go with preprinted to buy. I use them daily.

if the TB is going to keep in yard. Go with a metal sign and stake. Should run about $40.00.

Go with preprinted to buy. I use them daily.

if the TB is going to keep in yard. Go with a metal sign and stake. Should run about $40.00.

This is Cananda, Jonathan, you can add another zero to the price :) Thanks for the feedback.

A GREAT idea to keep a permanent sign in the yard Doug! I'm gonna have to try that :) And I agree that printed signs are better for buying. I've had that experience as well.

That looks good, and it made me think of something...

A while back I was putting out bandit signs, and I saw an abandoned house on the corner of a fairly busy 4 way intersection... so naturally, I put a sign in the front yard.... and it stayed out there for a while, even though I didn't own the house. So depending what sort of leads you're looking for, you might try putting those signs up on other peoples properties as well! Might even get a call from the owner!

W wouldn't go w/ a hand-written sign; they're just too hard to read. You want something that's instantly discernible.

Do you mean you wouldn't go with a handwritten sign for buying, selling, or both? I think you're making a mistake if you don't test a handwritten sign for selling your properties. It has been the experience of most of us who have responded to this thread that a handwritten signs pulls best for finding your tenant/buyers.

Do you mean you wouldn't go with a handwritten sign for buying, selling, or both? I think you're making a mistake if you don't test a handwritten sign for selling your properties. It has been the experience of most of us who have responded to this thread that a handwritten signs pulls best for finding your tenant/buyers.
Why is that? Is it becuase it's less corporate like and looks like it maybe made from the home owner?

Why is that? Is it becuase it's less corporate like and looks like it maybe made from the home owner?

I think that's exactly why Steve. And the signs only have to appear to be handwritten. You can buy signs printed with a handwriting font that pull just as well as those you write yourself. :-)

Got it. I typically use the big red RENT TO OWN pre-printed signs which is inbetween a hand written sign and a corporate looking business sign.