The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Doug Pretorius (ON)

Hot button issue for Canadian sellers

Thought I'd share a problem that my fellow Canadian investors can solve with lease purchasing. If you haven't talked to many motivated sellers yet you probably wouldn't even imagine that this would be much of a motivating factor at all, but it is. So what is it?

Mortgage Penalties

Most mortgages in Canada are fixed for a certain length of time (eg. 5 years) and again most have an early pay-off penalty. Even though the penalty is usually pretty reasonable (2 months of interest) avoiding paying this has motivated a number of sellers to offer me 3+ year lease option terms. When you combine that with no commissions, no closing costs, no maintenance and no tenants and toilets...it's not that hard work up a nice little SLO deal at today's prices or at the mortgage payoff value.

I wouldn't think that two months interest would be enough to motivate a homeowner to partake of your Bernie Madoff like scam, Doug. You must be good. :lol:

PPP baby! Pre Payment Penalty...we have it here in the civilized nation as well...all though it's not much of an issue...normally owner's don't even know if there is a PPP...where I see it more is on non-occupied owner loans...

Hmm...maybe you're right. MAYBE it has nothing to do with the PPP itself but rather the way I wink at the female seller as I mention it? :lol:

Hmm...maybe you're right. MAYBE it has nothing to do with the PPP itself but rather the way I wink at the female seller as I mention it? :lol:

Winking? Is that what you call it? Because over here they call it sexual harrasment. Stupid restraining orders...I just use them as wallpaper at this point.

Winking? Is that what you call it? Because over here they call it sexual harrasment. Stupid restraining orders...I just use them as wallpaper at this point.

:lol:

As I'm reading these replies I'm thinking..."You try to offer a little helpful info and what do you get? Nothing but grief!"
The helpful replies are only for paid subscriptions. Since you haven't upgraded, well, this is what you get.