The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Carny

At What Point Did You Start A Business?

How long or how many of these did you do before you became an actual business?

I have a bit of a dilemma. I want to get cards, signs, billboards, radio and tv ads, but I don't have a business phone, or a business for that matter. I don't want to invest in all this stuff and have my personal # on there if I'll need a business phone soon, but I don't want to get a bus. phone until I've at least done my first one. I guess I'll just make a few cards and signs for now, unless any of you have a better suggestion.

ring ring, hello this is carny how may I help you.

everyone you know knows what you do so who cares answer your home phone like it is your biz or get a cell

I've said this before: get good, then get big. In other words, concentrate on landing a deal or two first. With some experience and a few dollars in your pocket, you'll soon know what you need to get to the next level. Fax machine needed? Until you have the cash you can always use a neighbor's, Kinkos, Office Max, etc.

Business cards are inexpensive. If you need to discard your present ones because your phone number changes, no biggie. You're out about $35.

Business phone line? Not now. I mean, just how busy are you and how many calls are you receiving that you need one?

And one last thing, which I have also said previously: market within your budget. Makes no sense going broke with the latest and greatest equipment before you land your first deal.

but I don't have a business phone, or a business for that matter.

Carny,

I use FREE voice mail, I use about 4 of them so far from the same company, and yes is free and I also receive free faxes (excellent) I use different voice mail numbers for different ads and different purposes so I'll know where my clients or TB's are coming from and keep track of my success B)

I get all my callers msgs via my email and just listen to them and call them back! You can put your own personal greeting to it OR use the automated one which is professionally done as well.

Unlike all the other free voice mail svcs out there, there are absolutely no commercials in the greetings of these free phone numbers (but the numbers will have to be a non local number if you get the free svc), the only catch is that you will get a commercial email once per week, oh no!!! :wacko:

I love my free phone numbers. Here is the LINK TO THE FREE VOICE MAIL SVC

:lol:

Carny, you've received sage advice above. I've been in this business for going on 5 years and today I just sent a fax for the second time! :wacko:

I even know another investor who used his personal line until he owned 40 properties!

One thing that you might be interested in is getting a signal ring # from your phone company. It's a separate phone # that you can put on your business cards/ads and it does a double ring when someone calls so you know it's about your business. I pay about $5/month for mine.

Good Read guys .... all on the same page outstanding ..... Michael hit the nail on the head ... I started with $4 and in the basement of my home I got the signal ring # like Brian suggests and printed every thing I could on my home computer then worked deals hard...3 years later I have an office in a nice office building that I own and UPS drops off my printed stuff I outsource.. when this becomes a passion you will make deals and you will get big...