The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
MichaelC

Electronic Downloads

JJ, I was thinking the same thing as you. Sure, someone can take a book to the print shop, run off copies at .07 per page, go to the office supply store and buy a binder and, voila, have a free second copy. I'm sure this is done on occasion, and that's just an accepted part of this business. Copyrights and copyright laws, be damned. This does require some time and effort, though.

On the other hand, an electronic version in PDF format can be emailed infinitely and instantly with the push of one button.

Mr. Saint, what I was hoping to find was a system in place somewhat akin to what MS has done with Windows XP. You know, that Product Activation procedure that ties the OS to a specific 'puter.

Then, if an individual emailed a copy of the PDF file to a friend, that friend would not be able to open it on his/her computer, and as a penalty, the file would morph into a really nasty virus which erased their hard drive, and rendered them infertile and impotent :(.

The only thing I can think of is maybe using a one-time password.  I don't think Adobe offers it though

Adobe does have a password capability. You can set it up to only print out the document. No copying, saving, etc. can be controlled.

There is some e-book creation software out there. I am sure it can be found on the web.

There are very easy ways to get around passwords. That is why I suggested:

using a one-time password. ...but some programming might be needed to accomplish this effectively

Just as easily as I can email you the file, I can also email you the password with it. But, a one-time password, can only be used...once...

JerseyJeff

Thanks, Jeff, for the interest. If you come up with an idea, or if you hear of something out there, please do let me know.

Michael,

There are tools out there to e-publish with controls on how it is used.

After I get some marketing tasks completed on this property, I will do some research for you.

Option8

Michael,

There are tools out there to e-publish with controls on how it is used.

After I get some marketing tasks completed on this property, I will do some research for you.

Option8

Thank you. :)

MichaelC,

I have researched securing PDF's and using ebook compilers, and the one thing that is common is, if the person wants to crack your security bad enough, they will be able to. None of the security out there is 100%.

Adobe has two levels of security. The first lets you lock out copying text/images to a clipboard for re-pasting, and disabling printing, etc. The second level puts a password on the file itself. As we have discussed before, there are flaws in this.

The ebook compilers out there work similar to Adobe in that you can password protect your ebook, but I didn't see anything fancy, or beyond what Adobe can do.

One concept I saw that was interesting was a technology called "IP Tracking." IP tracking is based on the fact that each computer connected to the Internet is identified by a unique string of numbers called an IP address. When using IP tracking, the buyer of your product has to enter either a username and password or a license code to open the product the first time they use it. When they do this, their IP address is recorded and sent to your online control panel.

If an ebook is shared with others who have not purchased it, the same thing happens. You are alerted because two or more (depending on how often it’s been shared) IP addresses will show up in connection with the same ebook. This signals to you that your ebook is possibly being illegally shared or pirated, and your online control panel gives you the ability to instantly deactivate any or all copies associated with the IP address.

I researched two products that offer this technology. One, you have to pay a monthly a service for the use of, and the second you can purchase, but you need to use that software to compile your ebook, which may not be a bad thing.

Let me know if this is something you might be interested in, and I will email you the links of the softwares, and what my research has uncovered thus far. If you need any other help, just ask.

JerseyJeff

JJ, I'm very interested in learning more about this. If you can provide me with some links that would be a big help. Many, many thanks.