The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
MichaelC

Electronic Downloads

I am toying with the idea of making my book available via electronic download, in addition to the standard hard copy which is offered now. The advantages include instant delivery to the purchaser, and a reduced production cost for me which can then be passed on to the end user.

Does anyone have a strong preference for e books versus a hard copy version? Any experiences/opinions pro or con on this matter?

Thanks, folks.

Hello Michael:

I think you have a good idea with making your manual online. As you know, I already have the hard copy but if I had to do it again, I would consider an electronic version.

Michael......just a thought...but have you considered doing a teleconference or a chat room? I think a few people besides myself would be interested. Anyways....

Sincerely,

Andrew

Andrew, I have not considered a teleconference previously. However, if enough people tell me that is something that interests them, I certainly would consider organizing them.

Guest MichaelR
Andrew, I have not considered a teleconference previously.  However, if enough people tell me that is something that interests them, I certainly would consider organizing them.

Michael I am all for a teleconference to. That would be great if you had one we can all brain storm about lease options.

:rolleyes:

I'm still kicking these ideas around. Teleconferences, chat room, electronic version of The Naked Investor are all things on my list. Just been too busy with all the other things there, as well.

:D E-books are great.

I usually print them out and place them in a 3 -ring binder for my RE library that I'm building daily.

I would also be interested in a tele-conference.

Summer

Hate to be the latecomer, but count me in on any teleconference / chat room ideas you have.

I didn't mind having to wait for the binder to arrive, it was well worth the 2 day wait. I think if you distribute anything electronically, it's just asking to have someone distribute it out to others for free. I'd stick with the binder form. If someone is truely interested in being a successful investor, they will buy the book :( Just my two cents.

MC,

Being a student of yours currently - allow me to put forth some good will. If you'd like, and since I have Adobe Acrobat 5.0 on my PC, I can convert your book into an Adobe Document, which can be read using the free software, Acrobat Reader (for viewing and printing Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) files). Though I already have a copy of your book, it would be much easier if I got the copy in Word format. Adobe Acrobat 5.0 has a plugin for Word to convert Word docs into Adobe format. I found out recently that it can be password protected (only authorized individuals can view/print/etc with the password) so if someone sends a copy out to everyone else, they need the password as well. :(

Call me for more info if this peaks your interest.

- Troy

First off, I'm in for the teleconferencing and chat room as well. This board is great, but nothing beats real-time information.

I agree with Troy in the fact that if your are going to do an electronic version of your book, which I am for, you shouldn't send it out in Word, but rather in a PDF file readable by Adobe Acrobat.

I disagree, however, with the security aspect of Acrobat. If a person feels the need to distribute your ebook, a password isn't going to stop them.

JerseyJeff

Since this thread seems to have picked up steam again, let me chime in.

As for a chat room, the few I have seen and visited have been, for the most part, underutilized and ineffective. If someone can show me otherwise, I'd be willing to listen. For now, though, I'm down on this idea because I don't see it as being helpful.

A teleconference is something that seems to be a good idea. I'd need to work on the logistics of setting one up, and also laying down some type of format. I mean, twelve people talking at once on a teleconference call is not the best use of the medium.

For those of you with some know how and experience in this field, feel free to contact me with your ideas and I'll begin to move forward with this.

As for an ebook offering of The Naked Investor, Troy, I will be contacting you about this. I have many questions, primarily dealing with security. I'm also planning on contacting Adobe to hear what they have to say about this.

Thanks, all.

MC,

What kind of security would you be looking for? I don't think there's really any way to protect yourself differently in e-book format than in printed format. Typical copy write statements and the like, I think, is all you can really do. I do technical publications for a living (right now :( ), so I may be able to find out specifics if you have any other questions.

I think the obvious difference between print and electronic, is the ease at which you can copy the material. It is alot harder to take the book and go to the store and make copies of each page, especially when it is binded, but only takes two seconds to mass email the electronic file to 100 people.

MichaelC, I work in computers, and have been trying to think of a way for you to set up security on your book. The only thing I can think of is maybe using a one-time password. I don't think Adobe offers it though, so some programming might be needed to accomplish. I will keep thinking and maybe I can come up with something for you to do.

JerseyJeff