The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
BEV!

Help Me Understand What A "Blog" Is For

Here's the deal.

I have heard of blogs like for ever, but for some reason they don't appeal to me (never have) because I find them very super duper boring.

The reason I want to know (understand) what the purpose of a blog is, is because all the forums I participate in (postings etc) as soon as they find out about me (my success in R.E) they ALL want to read my so called blog which I don't have nor care to have one until I understand what it is and WHY people are so interested in reading my blog? I'm up to my eyeballs with requests from people in wanting to read my R.E blog errrrrrr :rolleyes:

My questions are:

- What is the purpose of a blog?

- What do you write in a blog? (is not like a diary is it? If so, what's in it for the writer then?)

- What does the reader expect to find in a blog?

- What are the benefits to the reader of a blog?

- What are the benefits to the writer of a blog?

- What makes a blog a "Can't put it down darn awesome" blog?

- Why do people all over the net always request to read my R.E blog errrr :unsure:

Please help me understand in plain French all about blogs (no links referrals please.. I'm tired of reading info online about blogs and still think they're boring :) )

Thanks,

BEV!

In short, it's to inform others on particular subjects

and to make $ if you know what you're doing. :rolleyes:

It's also a good way to generate an email

list and to market specific products and offers

to them.

Believe it or not, there's plenty of folks that make a

full-time living on just blogs.

Even more so on the part-time level.

I have a few scattered about on specific subjects, myself.

Of course there's more to it, but

I'll stop here for now.

Here's the deal.

I have heard of blogs like for ever, but for some reason they don't appeal to me (never have) because I find them very super duper boring.

The reason I want to know (understand) what the purpose of a blog is, is because all the forums I participate in (postings etc) as soon as they find out about me (my success in R.E) they ALL want to read my so called blog which I don't have nor care to have one until I understand what it is and WHY people are so interested in reading my blog? I'm up to my eyeballs with requests from people in wanting to read my R.E blog errrrrrr :rolleyes:

My questions are:

- What do you write in a blog? (is not like a diary is it? If so, what's in it for the writer then?)

- Why do people all over the net always request to read my R.E blog errrr :unsure:

Please help me understand in plain French all about blogs (no links referrals please.. I'm tired of reading info online about blogs and still think they're boring :) )

Thanks,

BEV!

I TOTALLY agree wtih you! I don't get blogs either!

However, what I am learning, as I'm also tyring my hand in internet MARKETING, is that Blogs are the "new" crazed and "proven" way to PROMOTE your product or service!

Urghhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I don't want to go down that road myself!

Seems like so much work and there are MILLIONS of blogs out there already and more popping up everyday!!!!!!

So, again, I agree wtih you! What's the point?????????

...and to answer your list o questions:

answer given above

Yes, like a diary of sorts. (Blog is a "mushed together" word, composed of web log.

Information, personal insights, to get a glimpse of what the blogger is doing/living...like

reading the author's diary.

source of info and personal inspiration...and a good read if the author/blogger is ok at writing.

a marketable email list of folks already interested in what your blog is about, income (if

you work it right), stress relief, etc. etc.

Good writing skills. If you don't possess this and still want a blog, you can

always hire it out. Also, having something interesting to write about helps as well.

- Why do people all over the net always request to read my R.E blog

Cuz you're a kick-ass CA/LO pro and sexy?

Given that folks are asking about your (non-existent) blog, I think you might

have something to go on.

If you make money from buying and selling real estate locally I think it would be very hard to use a blog to increase that business in a way that is more time-efficent than other methods.

What I'm saying is, how many sellers/landlords are going to come across your blog, read it, and be so enthralled by what you're saying that they call you up to sell their house? My guess would be not many. Surely you can reach more sellers by simply picking up the phone and making calls.

If you can hire someone to do it for you and generate additional business though, then I'm all for it!

If you make money from buying and selling real estate locally I think it would be very hard to use a blog to increase that business in a way that is more time-efficent than other methods.

What I'm saying is, how many sellers/landlords are going to come across your blog, read it, and be so enthralled by what you're saying that they call you up to sell their house? My guess would be not many. Surely you can reach more sellers by simply picking up the phone and making calls.

If you can hire someone to do it for you and generate additional business though, then I'm all for it!

Listen the MAN. He knows what he's talk'n about Bev!

YOU need no stupid blog, honey!

Unless you're selling????????

Oh My God, Bev, the Heading alone is a loaded question! One that was NOT intentional.

Nevertheless, it reads:

Help Me Understand What A Blo

. is?

I think you know what I mean (it means), and no, I won't fill in the blanks either!

Why because most people that have enough time to read these blogs are the same people that have to much time on their hands and have no clue as to what to do with it but go broke buying products or services.

Fast way to blog on a hundred site or more, cut, copy, paste. How do I know been there done that.

What was my topic, the one dearest to my heart real estate. what was the product towards the end of my blog they see :

www.realestateinvestorseektrainees.com

out about $8,000 every so often how many times after have I done this once but not 100 way less then fifty.

So if you got some time blog, it's the latest craze.

What Doug said.

I agree with what Doug states as well.

However, I didn't state that one use it to

buy and sell houses or contact landlords.

I was simply giving a basic description of

blogging and what one can do with it.

Also, you won't catch me typing away on a blog when a seller or buyer is waiting to do business.

On the other hand, I'm not giving any of

what I've earned away either.

Making money in your underwear aint that

bad...and that's all without dealing with

anyone...not too mention its free. How's that for being (an almost) Naked Investor?

Blogging isn't something to take the place of real estate investing, but rather, something to be used in conjunction and a

complement of your efforts -and anyone

can do it. The real estate game will still be #1

for me though.

Again, the majority use it as an outlet (some just to blab or to use it as something to take accountability with),

while a select few capitalize on it.

Thanks peeps,

So I'm getting that the blog is mostly for "selling" as a marketing tool from what I'm reading (not real estate of course).

But what really intrigues me is the fact that people ask me for my R.E blog (no other blog) and was curious as to why they asked.

I think if I ever use blogs, I will use them for selling other items as it seems to be what's hot right now!

BEV!

PS. I just saw this new blog marketing ding online today that peppers your blog worldwide for free and got me thinking now...

So I'm getting that the blog is mostly for "selling" as a marketing tool

Blogs, short for "web logs," started out as online diaries. They became popular because search engines tend to throw them to the top of the rankings. Why? Because they're mostly words, and words are the currency of search engines.

Words, like currency, are neutral. They can be an intimate portrait of your life or a nonstop infomercial on the swarthy pleasures of Middle Eastern Men (which may be the same thing, I don't know). In any case, your blog will shoot right to the top of the search engine rankings for that topic. However, people searching for Hot Babes Who Are Into Real Estate Investing will miss you completely...unless those words are also in your blog.

So, whether it's the "Joys of Motherhood," "Middle-Aged Dating," "Real Estate for the Gainfully Unemployed" or "My Fantasies And Why You Should Care," the more you write about it, the better your rankings and the bigger your audience of like-minded souls.

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC

because search engines tend to throw them to the top of the rankings
And that is why realtors have been adopting them. The thinking being that if they blog about the local market they will get to the top of the rankings for: "buying houses in new york" or "sell my house east texas". The problem for realtors is the competition. If you were the first in your area to do a real estate blog that you might have done well then, but now with 1,000 other agents doing the same thing you get lost in the crowd just like with most other marketing. If you then try to beat them out by writing more and more pretty soon you'd be spending all of your time blogging and none of your time buying and selling.

I was going to cite Dee Copeland as a realtor who had turned her entire website into a blog. But it looks like she's switched back to a standard real estate site (she's still doing the blog but it's just a part of the site rather than the whole thing). Seems as though it didn't work out quite the way she hoped.

For you, Bev, here's what you can do if people want to read your blog... charge for access! This way you get to pour out your thoughts and activities each day into essentially a diary, and you get paid for it!

Dan,

That's fantastic about the search engine.. I'm all for search engines ranking, I'm really liking this one.. thanks!

Doug,

...For you, Bev, here's what you can do if people want to read your blog... charge for access! This way you get to pour out your thoughts and activities each day into essentially a diary, and you get paid for it!

This is so cool.. I'm finally seeing the benefit to the writer and getting the whole picture! :huh:

In this situation other than needing to be a decent writer to create a blog, I would probably include a lot of things like actual recordings of phone conversations with prospects owners/tbs, movie clips of getting them signatures on them dotted lines etc.. or will that make me sound like Carlton Sheets? :lol:

BEV!