The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
yoleven

Craig's List

Hey all,

I opened my sunday paper to real estate section and came upon a article on rental home scams on Craigs list.

The scammers are hijacking real listed properties, pics and info and then submitting their contact info in place.

They change the rent price of lets say $2200. mth to $1,100 or whatever and you can't beleive your good fortune!

When you make contact, they are in Africa or Europe, working with a church ministry and Oh my Gosh! they took the house keys with them by mistake!

They tell you that they trust you and if you send the deposit and rents, they will send you the KEYS!

So craigs list is on alert and if you are working it, you might get feedback.

If anyone is gullible enough to mail money to a "landlord" who happens to be residing in Nigeria, I'd say they deserve whatever fate befalls them. :lol:

If anyone is gullible enough to mail money to a "landlord" who happens to be residing in Nigeria, I'd say they deserve whatever fate befalls them. :lol:
:lol: YUP! What the Admin Said.

These scams have been around since caveman and they're here to stay. (the scams, not the cavemen)

My philosophy has always been that we all have something called "common sense" for a reason.... to use it... not to abuse it.

How do we abuse it? By not using it :blink:

BEV!

Here is a post from a FRBO here in OKC I just responded to.

Hello,

Thanks for your email, I personally own the house, i want my property to be well taken good care of, and there are some rules and regulation in which i do give out to tenant willing to rent my house, so please don't disrespect my order, But if you are still capable of renting my house the rules and regulation goes this way. You must keep my house clean including the surrounding, you must know the way in which you use the stove so as to avoid fire outbreak,you must not disturb the neighbor.I decided to rent out the property due to our transfer to (West Africa) on a Missionary Work in a church here named World Mission, so we are renting it out since we need someone to take good care of the property on our absent. Don't be surprise if you find the home with another site and deference price, I have plan to rent it through Real estate before, but they are not serious simply because they have a lot of house to lease out, And they added some money to the rent while there commission is not fair. Have this in mind ,you must know the kind of person that I'm, But nevertheless i am giving you this rules because of what corresponded between me and my last tenant. the keys and documents are with us here in West Africa... So i will need to ship them to you before you can occupy the house, But you can drive by the house anytime to take a look at the area and surrounding, You can also peek through the windows if you don't mind. So let me know if you are still interested so that i can forward you the Rental Questionnaire to fill out...

Number of Bedrooms: 4

Number of bath: 2

Pets are welcome!!!

Rent: $1000

Deposit: $700

Address:

Thanks and God bless you.

Regard

David R

I looked up the house on my county assessor site and it said the house was owned by a sjs properties in new york city. Rents in that area are valued at least 1300 and thats 3 bed, :blush: . Red Flags all over emails like this. I'm new to responding to craigslist ads but I know fake ads. Just be careful everyone.

Hehe. That's as textbook as those scams get. Hard to believe they are still in use, but that must mean they still catch a fish every now and then. For fun and giggles, why not follow up with this clown and have him think you are hot to trot for "his" rental. Turn the tables and bait him instead, kind of like these fun folks do over here.

My phone number was stolen and used for one of those a while back.... got a ton of calls for houses for rent in NY, PA, TN, and a few other states.... A few of the people who called on the ads emailed me links to the ads, so I emailed the address in the ad.... that exact same type of scam.... I started to play along with it but got busy with REAL work so I never finished....

--- On Wed, 12/1/10, chris@chrispayscash.com <chris@chrispayscash.com> wrote:

Subject: House for rent on Craigslist

To: iwonaekurek@yahoo.com

Date: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 12:55 AM

Hi could you tell me more about the house you've got for rent on Craigslist in Stony Island?

Thanks,

-Chris

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: [sPAM] Re: House for rent on Craigslist

Date: Wed, December 01, 2010 8:56 am

To: chris@chrispayscash.com

Hello,

Thanks for the email. Yes, the House is still available and will only be given out to the right person that will take very good care of the place and the facilities. Well i must let you know that the house has a lot of facilities like laundry facilities,air condition,internet and telephone access and car garage and other necessary facilities.I have really decided to give out the house as a result of my transfer to London UK,in my place of work.

Rent per month is---------------$1000

Security Deposit----------------$500

Total to move in is-------------$1500

RENT APPLICATION FORM

1)Your Full Name________________________

2)Current Address_____________________________

3)Phone Number (________)

4)State________________

5)City__________________

6) Zip______________

7)Are you married______________________

8)How many people will be living in the house__________

9)Do you have a pet______________

10)Do you have a car______________________

11)Occupation______________

12)How many people will be living in the house___________

13)Email Address:_________________

14)How long lease are you looking for______________

15)How soon do you intend moving in________________

I need to inform you as well that money is not the major reason why I am renting it out but want someone who can take care of it as if he/she owns it ,so let me know as soon as possible if you can take good care of it, so that we can discuss the rent further.

House Address: 5 Smith Street Stony Point NY 10980

Bedroom: 3

Bathroom: 1.5

Sq. footage: 1536

Utilities Included in the rent are water ,Gas and electricity

Pets allowed are DOGS and CATS

Drive by the house immediately.

Thanks and God bless you amen.

Iwona E Kurek

--- On Thu, 12/2/10, chris@chrispayscash.com <chris@chrispayscash.com> wrote:

Subject: RE: [sPAM] Re: House for rent on Craigslist

To: "Iwona e Kurek" <iwonaekurek@yahoo.com>

Date: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 2:29 AM

Hi Iwona Kurek,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm eager to get started, I've filled out the application for you. What is the next step?

RENT APPLICATION FORM

1)Your Full Name__Christopher Kringle_____

2)Current Address___297 Andover St______

3)Phone Number (_978-616-9420_______)

4)State___Massachusetts_____________

5)City______Lawrence____________

6) Zip_____01843_________

7)Are you married______Yes________________

8)How many people will be living in the house____2______

9)Do you have a pet______No______

10)Do you have a car______Yes_____

11)Occupation__Industrial Welder_____

12)How many people will be living in the house____2______

13)Email Address:___craigs01list@gmail.com_______

14)How long lease are you looking for_____24 months_______

15)How soon do you intend moving in_____As soon as possible_______

Subject: Lease Agreement Attached

Date: Thu, December 02, 2010 8:52 am

Subject: Application Accepted

Date: Thu, December 02, 2010 8:46 am

Hello Christopher Kringle,

Glad to hear from you,i got your application form filled and everything is okay by me.

Myself and my husband are very exited and willing to let you move in our house as soon as possible and we have concluded in accepting payment for the first month payment which is $1000 including Utilities inside and a security deposit of $500 total of $1500 to move in as soon as you are ready.

The package containing the keys and documents will be delivered to your address (297 Andover St Lawrence Massachusetts 01843) after your deposit is confirmed here.

Here are the contents of the document.

1) Entrance and the rooms Keys

2)Paper/Permanent house form

3)The house documents file.

Once again, we are giving you this on trust and do not disappoint us.

So I am with your information's here with me and i will like to know whether you are ready for the payment of this month Rent so that the keys and the document could be shipped to you as soon as possible so that you can possible occupy the house know.Your full address is needed because that is where i will send the keys and documents of the House.

Call me # +44 70457 53199

Thanks and God bless you

Iwona E Kurek

I've sent them do that to my listings, but I have to say, they have gotten creative, and looked up the owner on tax records, then they get a gmail or yahoo account that has the owners name in it somewhere.

So at least they are working for their money over in Nigeria.

I say long live capitalism and creativity.

In Nigeria you have people scamming others with the internet, and taking money from morons.

In Somalia you have pirates kidnapping people that are floating around the world in a dinghy, then see who cares enough to drop cash...Euros I guess..or gold doubloons..from a helicopter so they will release the ugly people.

I mean, let's face it..you never see a sailboat of bikini models getting kidnapped.

It's always some couple that spend so much of their lives floating around that they have to cut each others hair, and when they show the pictures on TV, you can't tell which ones the wife.

How much money can a couple that looks like that really be worth?

And can you imagine how bad they smell?! YIKES!

I've sent them do that to my listings, but I have to say, they have gotten creative, and looked up the owner on tax records, then they get a gmail or yahoo account that has the owners name in it somewhere.

So at least they are working for their money over in Nigeria.

I say long live capitalism and creativity.

In Nigeria you have people scamming others with the internet, and taking money from morons.

In Somalia you have pirates kidnapping people that are floating around the world in a dinghy, then see who cares enough to drop cash...Euros I guess..or gold doubloons..from a helicopter so they will release the ugly people.

I mean, let's face it..you never see a sailboat of bikini models getting kidnapped.

It's always some couple that spend so much of their lives floating around that they have to cut each others hair, and when they show the pictures on TV, you can't tell which ones the wife.

How much money can a couple that looks like that really be worth?

And can you imagine how bad they smell?! YIKES!

Agreed! free-party-smileys-770.gif

Hitting the tequila early today, eh Johnnie? What the hell! It's the 4th of July. Go for it, Tex! :D

HA! That's funny...after I posted that, I started to go back and add:

"Just think, this is me early in the AM, with no alcohol, and in a GOOD mood...just imagine if.."