The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
MichaelC

Angry Realtors Are Emailing Me

So I'm working Craig's List looking for some business. My email is the same we have often talked about already:

Hi,

Is your property still available? If so, would you be interested in selling it with a lease purchase?

Thank you.

Michael

PS: I am not a Realtor and prefer to deal direct with the homeowner only. If you are a Realtor, or if your house is already listed, please disregard this email. Thank you.

Simple enough, right? Inoffensive. Well, I just now received two emails in a span of minutes. There are some angry Agents working these days:

There is nothing wrong with Realtors. What home are you interested in? And if you don't like to deal with Realtors, are you out to screw a homeowner that does not know what they are signing? An investor wanting to do a lease purchase must be watching infomercials. You really need a realtor to represent you. It might just keep you out of jail since the FBI is around right NOW busting people. :o I knew it! There really are Real Estate Police!! :unsure:

And this one: Im a Realtor but I own the house, however if you would rather deal with an unsuspecting or unkowledegeable individual so you can have the upper hand then don't respond to this e-mail :) I'm tempted to write back, (but I won't), to ask this guy who he represents in the deal. The seller, or me? So doesn't that give the seller the upper hand?? :o

Where did the first one get the idea that you're an investor? Hmmm :) Your reputation must preceed you Michael, they know what you're all about by your FIRST NAME! :o

But you know what? If you're pissing off agents then you must be doing something right!

Doug

I have those replies at least twice a week on craigslist! :) (Guess I'm striking the right cords...)

On top of Realtors putting ALL their listings on Craig's in S. Florida now, sort of their extension to the MLS (up to 50-60 of their listings in a role - how annoying if you keep seeing the same template posting after posting...).

They now started blocking me out, reporting me as spam and my ads suddenly disappear faster than I can even post them! (same ads I always had with not a word offensive or so that worked in the past - Craig's list say it's not them taking it off)...

What's next? :o

Michael,

I believe you've inspired me to market with Craig's List now.

Not to generate business, but simply to annihilate (verbally, of course)

these "creatures" you're corresponding with.

I reckon signing a deal or 2 up will be icing on the cake.

On top of Realtors putting ALL their listings on Craig's in S. Florida now, sort of their extension to the MLS (up to 50-60 of their listings in a role - how annoying if you keep seeing the same template posting after posting...).

We can now start putting our LP deals on the MLS -- for FREE. Iggys House is available in about 20 states (including Florida and California). I just found this yesterday and tried putting one of my properties there, but they are "in beta" and the system was down. I can't wait for the emails from agents when this hits!!

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC

What do you guys do when someone thinks your a realtor?

I just had a guy email me back saying he'll give me a 2% commission if I bring him a buyer. :)

Should I send him the LPA form?

Steve, tell him you're not a realtor and you don't charge commissions :o

...but you'll gladly take the 2% for being honest.

:)

It might just keep you out of jail since the FBI is around right NOW busting people.[/b] :o I knew it! There really are Real Estate Police!! :)

Police? No. Nazis? Yes.

These realtors make condo commandos look GOOD.

I have those replies at least twice a week on craigslist! :) (Guess I'm striking the right cords...)

They now started blocking me out, reporting me as spam and my ads suddenly disappear faster than I can even post them! (same ads I always had with not a word offensive or so that worked in the past - Craig's list say it's not them taking it off)...

What's next? :o

You are right on with what Craig's List has become in the south FL categories: an extension of MLS. It isn't unusual to read through an entire page of 100 listings and not find one FSBO, with two or three Agents dumping all their listings there! :unsure: And they have the nerve to report us and complain about a single ad from an investor?! :o

What's happening, of course, and what these short-sighted buffoons don't recognize is that they are chasing away the very market they are trying to reach. With the board over there becoming just like MLS, many buyers have abandoned it. In essence, you have Realtors communicating with one another. And they wonder why they can't make a sale!

Why don't you ask craigslist to put realtor and FSBO ads into separate categories? If they've been successfully lobbied by realtors then it probably won't happen, but it's worth asking.

Bad move man, you should have never let them be able to contact you. You have it on anonomize which stops them from obtaining your email address but next time you should just turn off showing an email at all. Will at least keep some hatemail at bay.......especially since you get enough already.

Bad move man, you should have never let them be able to contact you. You have it on anonomize which stops them from obtaining your email address but next time you should just turn off showing an email at all. Will at least keep some hatemail at bay.......especially since you get enough already.

He may also get feedback from investors and home owners who feel the same way, :) which would be a clear signal for all of us to start hammering CL to split the RE category into Private Party and Licensed Agent categories. I'd be curious to know what the response is either way.

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC