The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
CS1977

CS1977's Post-Mentorship Progress Thread

So, that first deal I did? Turns out the TB ran into some legal issues (got a DUI) and ended up losing his job and had to move out! So the owner called me to see if I would find him a new person. So I am back to marketing that first house again. Nice! Once again, there is a ton of interest--5-10 calls per day.
This is good. Ol' Earl obviously likes the job you did the first time around or you wouldn't have been called again. Take it as a compliment, Christine, and hustle up another t/b. That's another $5K payday awaiting you.
I also came across an investor who is trying to get rid of a bunch of properties. I ended up getting options on 5 of them! Trying to market them now. It's not as easy as doing a CA. It's probably because I don't have prior experience with pure options and marketing them. Any ideas?
It's not "as easy as doing a CA", only because you are now in the position of needing buyers, not tenant/buyers. Thus, the financial requirements are greater. Marketing is key, Christine. Signs, flyers, newspaper ads, word of mouth, REIC's, online advertising, etc. Your paydays will be in direct proportion to your marketing efforts.
Otherwise, things are stagnant.
Hehe. . .like RobP said, if six properties under contract simultaneously is slacking off, I'd be very interested to see what you do when you're moving full speed ahead. I think you may be a bit hard on yourself. We can all improve ourselves, but don't beat yourself up, Christine. There's enough people already willing to do that without you making it easy for them.

My suggestion is to focus on the task at hand. And that seems to me to be unloading some of the existing properties you already have in inventory. Concentrate on that only for the time being. Market like crazy, put a few deals in the done column, then step back and take a deep breath. You're doing fine, Christine, and you'll be even better as you get deeper into this.

Thanks MC and Rob. I am very hard on myself sometimes, always have been.

Doug--I actually just completed Gary Keller's other book "the Millionaire Real Estate Investor" which is also an excellent book. I am not suprised what I feel is similar to what he wrote in the Agent book--it seems what I fear is hardly unique to me. It's what many others go through. I just cannot believe how paralyzing it can be.

Sounds like I need to read "MythUnderstandings." That totally makes sense. Or, maybe I should just hold off on the books right now and just get to doing for f&*%'s sake. B)B)

I know what I need to do. Question is, how long before I get to doing it?

Thanks MC and Rob. I am very hard on myself sometimes, always have been.

Doug--I actually just completed Gary Keller's other book "the Millionaire Real Estate Investor" which is also an excellent book. I am not suprised what I feel is similar to what he wrote in the Agent book--it seems what I fear is hardly unique to me. It's what many others go through. I just cannot believe how paralyzing it can be.

Sounds like I need to read "MythUnderstandings." That totally makes sense. Or, maybe I should just hold off on the books right now and just get to doing for f&*%'s sake. B)B)

I know what I need to do. Question is, how long before I get to doing it?

I love your log you have. MC gives great advice for all of us.

I am doing my first CA. Its in a so area. Will keep you filled in. I hope its easier to complete.

Sounds like I need to read "MythUnderstandings." That totally makes sense. Or, maybe I should just hold off on the books right now and just get to doing for f&*%'s sake.

I always thought that next book, or that next course, or that "other" forum would be

the answers to finally get me started.

It wasn't until I read Michael's manual that I finally saw the light.

It's on page 5 if you really wanna know.

This is enough to embarass you into a deal.

No book that you read will complete any deals, nor will they make you any money.

The content may give you the ideas, but it's applying the content...

this is where you'll find your success.

Now, put those books down and get to meetin' people that need

your help.

Just an update to say that I closed on that house I got back for the second time on Thurs!!! Another 5k!

10k on one dumb house, gotta love it :)

Just an update to say that I closed on that house I got back for the second time on Thurs!!! Another 5k!

10k on one dumb house, gotta love it :)

Congratulations, Christine! Remember, a girl can never be thin enough, or rich enough. . . :)

10k on one dumb house, gotta love it ;)

Congratulations, Christine! Remember, a girl can never be thin enough, or rich enough. . . :)

yeah, especially with a wedding 11 months away....yikes! :o:)

Bringing this thread back to life :lol:

With my focus back on REI, I have begun to work with a good investor friend of mine who is very successful. He does it full time and has no shortage of houses...it's the selling side he needs help with--that is, he needs more than just himself selling them. The market here in S. Jersey has been really down and so a small group of us are starting to market for homes we can selling using a "round robin" auction. There are a ton of motivated sellers out there right now. I am sending out my marketing this week.

As usual, I am also still on the lookout for lease purchase deals as well. It's quite a different game than when I first started a yr. and a half ago--in a good way.

It's quite a different game than when I first started a yr. and a half ago--in a good way.
Ain't that the truth! Talk about a 180 :lol: .

Buyers are calling the shots now, to say the least. South Florida now seems to be one of the worst markets in the country. Inventory has tripled, sales have plummeted, foreclosures have tripled, and on and on. Motivated sellers are are as common as the legendary Florida flying roaches!

All of this means great buying opportunities. Make hay while the sun shines, Christine.

Christine, wow, you're very inspiring! The other night I found this forum and read this thread about your whole year and a half of progress. I couldn't stop reading until I read every post. I'm dying to know, how have you done in the past year in regards to deals? How many? And congratulations on your recent wedding!

Hi! Thanks...the past 6 mos. or so my REI career has been on hold as I was very occupied with everything wedding. I think my last deal was December. But since returning from my honeymoon I have dived back in full force. I have a big direct mail campaign of about 500 letters going out this coming week. I am ready to get serious again. I will tell you that in 2006 I did pretty well for myself without trying all that hard. This stuff works and once you see that you will wonder why anyone would rather work a soul-sucking 9-5 job!! :D

Christine, wow, you're very inspiring! The other night I found this forum and read this thread about your whole year and a half of progress. I couldn't stop reading until I read every post. I'm dying to know, how have you done in the past year in regards to deals? How many? And congratulations on your recent wedding!

Hi! Thanks...the past 6 mos. or so my REI career has been on hold as I was very occupied with everything wedding. I think my last deal was December. But since returning from my honeymoon I have dived back in full force. I have a big direct mail campaign of about 500 letters going out this coming week. I am ready to get serious again. I will tell you that in 2006 I did pretty well for myself without trying all that hard. This stuff works and once you see that you will wonder why anyone would rather work a soul-sucking 9-5 job!! :D

That's awesome! I keep thinking back to the beginning of the thread. It took you about a month to find your first deal and about a month to land a T/B. AND you had more coming in during that time. That's kick arse! Now, off I go back to the archives to continue my reading :D

Just want to chime in here. GetErDun, you'll be hard pressed to find a better role model than Christine. She is one of the best students I have had the pleasure of working with. She's done well for herself, and at a time when the market was much tougher to find motivated sellers and deals than it is now. If she applies herself now that the minor inconvenience of her marriage is out of the way, (B)^_^;);)), I suspect her upside potential is unlimited.

LOL!! Minor inconvenience :P

Aww, thanks MC--that's so nice. ;) ;)

And that's so true about the market being a total seller's market when I started. It makes me (and should make you!) very excited to be a real estate investor right now. :)

Just want to chime in here. GetErDun, you'll be hard pressed to find a better role model than Christine. She is one of the best students I have had the pleasure of working with. She's done well for herself, and at a time when the market was much tougher to find motivated sellers and deals than it is now. If she applies herself now that the minor inconvenience of her marriage is out of the way, (B)^_^:huh:;)), I suspect her upside potential is unlimited.

Just updating ya'll that I'm back in business!! Signing up CA's! I've missed being immersed in the REI world.

(Boy, Realtors are crankier than ever in this market, anyone else notice that?) :lol:

2008 is going to be so successful I can hardly stand it. :P

It's good to be back :(